General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bike New Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM
kcsteve
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bike New Noise

I have a 2014 Heritage with 900 miles on it. While riding home this afternoon I heard / felt a new noise. It was a clunk that sounded just like bad u joint in a car. I was riding about 30 mph in 2nd gear and every time I would roll on the throttle I would hear this clunk. I will be taking the bike in for the 1000 mile service either tomorrow or Saturday. Any ideas what might be causing this. It's the first time I've heard it.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

I've got no answer for you just wanted to congratulate you on the new bike.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:19 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 490 Posts

Mine makes new noises/smells all the time...I figure if something goes wrong, that's what the 5 year warranty is for.

Ride on and don't stress about it, man.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

With it off and in first gear. With it on a hard surface. Push the handle bars fwd. Look down and note the tire position. Now push it back with your butt. Note it probably rolled a couple three inches of tire circumference. Transmission backlash, primary chain free play, cush drive and winding of the compensator till it loads up. That's what you probably hear and fill. It's not a Honda.... It's fairly crude tech but it's tough as nails.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-25-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 PM
kcsteve
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcome and replies. So most likely nothing to worry about?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to mention it when you bring it in for the 1k service.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:17 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep, I'd mention it. But I wouldn't fret over it. It may even go away after it's fully broken in.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Bruin08
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buddy of mine bout a new 2014 Limited. He rides Road Kings for a living with the Sheriff's Office so hes very familiar with how they sound and all. Well being this is his first cooled bike with a fan and all that goes with it, he heard a whine and figured it was normal. He brings it in for the 1k service and the tech asks him how long the bike has been making a wining noise and he tells him since the days he pulled it off the lot. Tech tells him thats not good and not normal......outcome BRAND new engine. Culprit....bad main motor bearing. This isnt the first one this particular dealer has had to change....HD needs to step their game up.

My 2013 SG has been in the shop 3 times for warrant issues. Gasket leak by the (I want to say the guy called it the Oil Rocker), warped rotors. Then on my last trip to AL, I get within 10 miles of the hotel and I can no longer shift. I look down and the shifter lever is just sea-sawing back and forth. Get towed to the HD Shop and find out the lever and lever assembly BROKE. Guy said he is used to seeing the levers strip out, but never them BRAKE. Then today when I was getting new tires installed, I had then check the lever assembly again because it was loose and wobbling back and forth and they had to change the screw again. Not to pleased with all the warranty work.

Bike was in for 20k service when they found the gasket and warped rotors. Bike was around 21,5 for broken lever and lever assembly. Bike at 21,9 to re-fix the lever assembly.

Its a little discouraging when all those things are ALREADY going bad.

BTW SCREW HD Dunlop tires. The American Elite tires are the ****!!!!

YOU BETTER MENTION THAT CLUNK BEFORE YOURE GETTING TOWED TO HD OUT OF TOWN AND THEN REPLACING THE WHOLE FREAKING ENGINE.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

A 2013 Electra Glide Classic is my first Harley. I also ran heavy railway equipment for 30 years and now supervise 5 of the same crews. My experience with both railway equipment and Harleys is every time you fire them up they have an extra knock, rattle, vibration, squeak or other abnormal noise. You have to get used to the fact a Harley will sound a little different each time you ride it. The ambient temperature and humidity have a big part in how you bike will run time from time. Bug the hell out of your dealer till you are comfortable with the noises it makes. Most are normal, but let them help you familiarize yourself with your bike til you get comfortable with the noises it makes. A good dealer will let you know if it is not a normal sound.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:06 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

does it do it in any other gear?.. Let us know what the dealer says...

Quick Reply: New Bike New Noise