General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charity Ride Mis-hap

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts
Default Charity Ride Mis-hap

I know a lot of you don't like riding in groups....

http://www.journal-news.com/news/new...llision/nhXBR/

Old 09-28-2014, 08:20 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know I don't

Old 09-28-2014, 08:38 AM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i stay outta group rides....

Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 987 Posts

My saying- "i'll meet you there" Seen TOO many deaths and serious injuries on runs.
Still rode with a small group till it got too many riders and some of the fools thought it's OK to block intersections.
Tell me fools - when 4 wheeler brain dead driver plows into your illegally blocked intersection - WHO'S gonna pay the bills? YOU? WHO'S gonna support my family?
F'in dopes.
Sorry this is a major pet peeve w/me after having it out with a HOG [don't belong -came with a friend] so called boss who said 'You'll do what your told" Almost PTI for my answer to him.

Last edited by mjrfd99; 09-28-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:09 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Group rides these days are becoming like the "Running of the Bulls". I haven't been on one in years and won't but I wonder what it's attributed to. Is it lack of experience, squirrely riders, lack of organization, trying to impress, drunk etc

Old 09-28-2014, 09:16 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Great intentions - bad results = Charity rides

Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The last group ride I was gonna go on they started out fighting about who got to ride in the back. The leader finally had to explain that not everyone can ride in the back. I decided to opt out before it even started. I was going to end up 3rd from the front with all these wanna ride in the back people behind me. Maybe I'm wrong, but if they all want to ride in the back that tells me there's to many rookies and confidence lacking riders in the group. Recipe for disaster

Old 09-28-2014, 10:19 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
The last group ride I was gonna go on they started out fighting about who got to ride in the back. The leader finally had to explain that not everyone can ride in the back. I decided to opt out before it even started. I was going to end up 3rd from the front with all these wanna ride in the back people behind me. Maybe I'm wrong, but if they all want to ride in the back that tells me there's to many rookies and confidence lacking riders in the group. Recipe for disaster

What's to fight about riding in the back? The leader leaves and the group follows. The last riders in the starting area are either going to go, or wait for all day for the other riders to go first. If the Road Captain sets a good pace, the best and safest place to be is up front. But even if you have a good leader or Road Captain, and the riders won't follow his or her instructions, it's not going to be a good ride. IMO, good group-riding takes more skill and discipline than most riders have.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:32 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
What's to fight about riding in the back? The leader leaves and the group follows. The last riders in the starting area are either going to go, or wait for all day for the other riders to go first. If the Road Captain sets a good pace, the best and safest place to be is up front. But even if you have a good leader or Road Captain, and the riders won't follow his or her instructions, it's not going to be a good ride. IMO, good group-riding takes more skill and discipline than most riders have.
well that's the question I was asking myself. i somewhat disagree with being up front being the safest. In theory yes....but it depends on who's riding behind you. Know what I mean vern ?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:34 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,220 Likes on 11,121 Posts

BTDT, crash caused by the "accordion effect". Bikes in front slow and bikes in rear don't.
Sad part is this will be settled in court from the lawsuit firestorm. Charity hopefully avoids getting it's bank account drained.
Disturbing to read some involved bikers left the scene. If you ride in a group strongly suggest wearing a GoPro.

Quick Reply: Charity Ride Mis-hap