General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Orleans Near Miss

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:13 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Orleans Near Miss

Spent the weekend in NOLA, got on the road headed home this morning early and about 6:15am a car blew by me using about half of my lane to the right of me and lost control directly in front of me. The car slammed into the concrete railing to my left, so close that I was showered in the face with debris, scary close guys. I was on the brakes like a madman but I was able to keep it straight as the car bounced off the left wall and across all lanes into the right wall. I would have stopped but was worried about cars coming behind me, so I stabbed the throttle and let the MGS exhaust wail.

Word of advice, watch your 6! Never saw him coming, this just reinforces my usual tactic of driving faster than the normal traffic flow but this guy was easily doing +25 over the limit. Hope they were ok, was just no way I could stop, my wife had a death grip on my ribs.

Keep the shiny side up

Old 09-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always scanning the mirrors to see what's behind me whether on the bike or in a car. Old habit from my patrol days. Glad you made it through ok.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

Thanks. I thought I did a pretty good job checking mirrors, nearly obsessively but this one slipped by me. Maybe because of how fast he came up around the other cars?

Old 09-28-2014, 03:16 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,264 Likes on 11,133 Posts

I would have called the highway patrol. They will need your witness statement

Old 09-28-2014, 03:32 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

Originally Posted by upflying
I would have called the highway patrol. They will need your witness statement
Sounds like a good idea but they can figure it out without me. This clown was out of control, there was also plenty of cars around that can likely provided a statement.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like could have turned way different than it did! Glad to hear ya'll escaped injury. I always keep an eye on traffic behind me due to things just like that. Again, glad to hear ya'll are Ok.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you are Ok ,Scary deal ,especially with your wife on the back . Talk about looking in mirrors about 30 plus years ago cruising on a highway in NJ right lane 65 MPH. I was on my sportster look in my left mirror and here is a Winnebago half way in my lane just about ready to take me out I swerve to my right ( I really thought he had me )and the camper just misses me . He was so close I could read the Winnebago logo on hood or grill . So needless to say from then on always check my mirrors truck and bikes . Again glad you and the wife OK .

Old 09-28-2014, 08:35 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At the risk of being labelled sanctimonious, here goes...

So, the op witnesses what was, by his own description, a violent high speed automobile accident in which the car involved hit both the left and right retaining walls at initially more than 25 miles over the speed limit... AND HE JUST KEEPS ON RIDING??? Are you f-ing kidding me? You didn't stop to see if the driver and/or passenger(s) were ok, needed medical attention, could be saved? You didn't even call 911 for an ambulance or two???
Are you a sociopath? Do you not have compassion for other human beings?

As much as people on this forum complain about so-called "cagers" who hate bikers, blah, blah, blah, it's sad to see this type of reaction from a biker when the shoe is on the other foot. Disgraceful.

And no, it does not matter that there were other vehicles around. This is a situation where an individual has to step up and accept a duty to render assistance to a fellow human being, aka personal integrity. Ever heard of Kitty Genovese?

Old 09-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmb79
At the risk of being labelled sanctimonious, here goes...

So, the op witnesses what was, by his own description, a violent high speed automobile accident in which the car involved hit both the left and right retaining walls at initially more than 25 miles over the speed limit... AND HE JUST KEEPS ON RIDING??? Are you f-ing kidding me? You didn't stop to see if the driver and/or passenger(s) were ok, needed medical attention, could be saved? You didn't even call 911 for an ambulance or two???
Are you a sociopath? Do you not have compassion for other human beings?

As much as people on this forum complain about so-called "cagers" who hate bikers, blah, blah, blah, it's sad to see this type of reaction from a biker when the shoe is on the other foot. Disgraceful.

And no, it does not matter that there were other vehicles around. This is a situation where an individual has to step up and accept a duty to render assistance to a fellow human being, aka personal integrity. Ever heard of Kitty Genovese?
Not going to label you as santimonious and not to make excuses for the OP, but it's quite possible that due to the chaos that ensued, the OP may not have been able to double back to give a statement to the L.E.O. in charge of the scene (Incident Commander). Let's not forget that the OP had his wife with him during the incident and she may have required some TLC and comforting as well after witnessing the crash. Oh, and yes, I am old enough to remember the Kitty Genovese incident in NY where neighbors witnessed a woman being brutally attacked and no one wanted to become involved by reporting it to law enforcement.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750s

Last edited by Str8chuter; 09-28-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Shep68
Always scanning the mirrors to see what's behind me whether on the bike or in a car. Old habit from my patrol days. Glad you made it through ok.
Same here. Glad yall are ok.

Quick Reply: New Orleans Near Miss