General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ruined a $4k custom paint job...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just ruined a $4k custom paint job...

I haven't washed my bike in a while and I was trying to take the easy way out...used a pressure washer on it yesterday (to blow off all the bugs) and man did I screw up. I have a couple of spots bigger than a silver dollar on my front fender where I blew the paint off. I also have a spot on the tank where I blew a hole in the clear coat and it's starting to peal. Is there anything I can do to stop these spots from flaking/peeling off more now??? I'm concerned that they are going to continue to peel now. Then to top it all off, I melted a friggin micro fiber rag all over my exhaust when I was done...gotta clean that up too. I should have just left the damn bugs on there...

Old 09-29-2014, 02:19 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AAAC
I haven't washed my bike in a while and I was trying to take the easy way out...used a pressure washer on it yesterday (to blow off all the bugs) and man did I screw up. I have a couple of spots bigger than a silver dollar on my front fender where I blew the paint off. I also have a spot on the tank where I blew a hole in the clear coat and it's starting to peal. Is there anything I can do to stop these spots from flaking/peeling off more now??? I'm concerned that they are going to continue to peel now. Then to top it all off, I melted a friggin micro fiber rag all over my exhaust when I was done...gotta clean that up too. I should have just left the damn bugs on there...

Wash the bike by hand from now on...
How fresh is the paint..How close did you hold the wand to the paint?

Last edited by 2kids3pets; 09-29-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:22 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Easy Off oven cleaner will take off the melted microfiber. Been there done that. Wear rubber gloves and cover the rest of the area before spraying.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 PM
05flhtbob
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10,654 Likes on 1,731 Posts
paint should not come off that easy unless you were really crazy with the power washer

Old 09-29-2014, 02:27 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like **** prep work if you lifted paint that easy.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:30 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

Ouch. That's a tough way to learn that lesson; sorry it happened.

If it were me, I'd ride it over to a professional paint shop to see if they could work some paint-repair magic. I'm no painter so I wouldn't want to try to repair it myself; it would look worse than it did before.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:32 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

You shouldn't have had that issue with a $4k paint job on a bike. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Much less multiple areas. Clear should not come under any type of automotive pressure washing....something like 3500psi might get some lifting if you held it a few inches away.

On to the issue of the peeling. You can coat the edges of the peeling clear coat with clear nail polish. it should go on smooth and stop the lifting.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 05flhtbob
paint should not come off that easy unless you were really crazy with the power washer

That's what I thought.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Take it back!

Sounds like you got a $500 paint job for $4000. The paint should NOT have done that.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:47 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 05flhtbob

Originally Posted by AAAC
That's what I thought.
Yup, me too. Especially a $4K paint job. Sounds like the quality of the prep work wasn't very good.

In the future, wet a towel with really hot water, lay it on the bug areas for a minute, and they'll wipe right off... with no damage.

Quick Reply: Just ruined a $4k custom paint job...