General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at Viking Bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts
Default Looking at Viking Bags

Hi All,
I was looking at some bags for my Fat Boy and came across Viking bags. They are exactly what I have been looking for..lockable leather bags for a reasonable price...I noticed that Viking Bag is a member of this forum but under their name on posts it says banned....anyone have any idea why?

Old 10-02-2014, 05:50 PM
expy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put viking bags on my Dyna and can say they are a great value. For mounting you might look at easy brackets.

I have no idea on why it says banned.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also don't know why it says banned; however I can tell you from personal experience that if you have issues with them, they will not repair or replace damaged bags (even at the customers expense). I was told that they have no service facilities in the Mainland United States. The Mainland Viking Bag U.S. facilities are only for shipping product to customers. I have made it a personal rule that I will not deal with companies that do not stand behind their product, therefor I will never deal with them again, it's simply not the same company since Bobby left.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750s

Last edited by Str8chuter; 10-02-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-02-2014, 07:23 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I also have Viking Bags and really them. My only gripe is you have to keep up with 4 keys. Each bag has a key and each quick disconnect mount has a key.

As for the ban, I don't know for sure. Last year there was alot of complaints here on the board about them but I think it mainly stemmed from their rep on the board. I've had several instances to contact them and have always been satisfied.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:57 PM
1200 Low Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had them before they are really cheap, I would never get them again. They were fine for my starter bike but not for the one I have now. I will save for nice ones.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:34 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I believe they were banned because they were trying to solicit their stuff without being a paid sponsor. I could be wrong though.

I have a fork tool bag of theirs that's served me well.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:42 AM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed their hard bags on a friends dyna, and you get what you paid for . The bags were not quite identical,lots of little things weren't symmetrical ,and the lids had to be lined with auto door rubber edging to keep then from rattling and chipping the paint.

But for the money, you can't beat em

Old 10-03-2014, 02:45 AM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a large leather sissy bar travel bag from them this spring. We have done 2- week long trips with it this year. The bag itself is a good value. My only complaints are that the plastic clasps for mounting are cheap and flimsy. It usually takes 10-15 minutes to get everything secure without the clasps wanting to come undone from too much tension. My other complaint is that the rain cover wasn't quite big enough for a fully loaded bag. The seams ended up separating deeming it useless. But for less than $50 it worked for us for now. Next year we will be investing in something nicer.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:19 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have been looking for a set of locking leather ( or leather like...lol) bags for my Fatboy. I really didn't want to spend a$1000 on bags which besides the Viking bags are all I could find

It's funny at first I hated bags on bikes...but now since I have to carry certain things with me like my prescription riding glasses

Old 10-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Save you money and buy some real American made leather bags. I can tell you that Leather Pro and Boss Bags stand behind and on top of their products. Check ebay often for some good deals.

Quick Reply: Looking at Viking Bags