General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall Guys Unite! Question on bike sizing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:13 PM
ScrewballSurprise
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tall Guys Unite! Question on bike sizing.

Hey all,

I'm looking for more information on what HD models that you tall ones prefer to ride. I'm 6'2 with a 34" inseam to give you an idea. I've played around with ergo-cycle.com to see some models, but nothing beats actually sitting on bike, so I'm trying to narrow it down right now.

What further complicates this is that I'm also a novice - signing up for a Rider's Edge course and getting my endorsement in the next couple of months while I save up for the bike (used of course!). Further complications - I'm a dumb 20 year old kid who would probably be willing to sacrifice comfort for 'cool', and I enjoy long road trips. I current take 4-5 hour drives in my truck on Saturdays and Sundays just to explore the local area. I would be switching my truck out for a bike, and also be trying to do bike camping as best I could when I had long weekends or a whole week off.

I love the look of the 883, and I really wanted one as my first bike; but as my dad, an old fart who rides a sportster, told me, "Son, everybody be asking who sold the Jolly Green Giant a midget bike." I think he also thought I would be the kind of guy who took a coast to coast or tried to get an Iron Butt patch on sportster. He's right - I probably would.

Some of the bikes I'm interested in are the Blackline, the '06-'08 Wideglide, the Night Train, and the Softail Custom. So tall guys - how do these fit you? What other bikes should I consider? Any general advice for a fellow beanstalk?

Thanks,

ScrewballSurprise

Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,925 Likes on 3,023 Posts

No, no no. A Sportster is to small and will be to cramped for you. That is unless you've been riding Sports bikes. I'm 6'1" 270 and I wouldn't ride anything smaller than what I have.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RANGER73
No, no no. A Sportster is to small and will be to cramped for you. That is unless you've been riding Sports bikes. I'm 6'1" 270 and I wouldn't ride anything smaller than what I have.

I'm about you guys' size/height. We have a 1200 Custom (which has forward controls), and I *can* ride it, but it's like a monkey f'ing a football.

Softails are a bit tight for me. My wife has a Lo, which has "whisker bars" - basically puts foot pegs out where an engine guard would, but without the engine guard. I can't use 'em. Rather, I can rest my calves on them. I have a Slim, which I've moved the controls forward 2 inches, and I still scoot my feet as forward as possible on the boards. I've put apes on, too, to sit me more upright, and done suspension mods and swapped out the seat, too, in order to make it work for me. It's good for about 300 miles. It's low, it's fast (enough), it's nimble, and it looks good. It's stripped down, and has minimal storage, no windshield, no passenger seat/pegs...

I also have a Road King Classic that is pretty much stock as far as suspension, seat, and bars are concerned. I've done an iron *** ride on that bike. I could swap out some bars for a couple inches higher, and move the controls forward a couple of inches, and it'd be really comfortable, but I don't ride it as often, and the expense isn't worth it to me at this time. At some point, it may get traded/sold in favor of a newer bagger with all the fairings, radio, and the rest of that jazz... but who knows.

I have no idea what website you're talking about, but keep in mind, almost NOBODY leaves their bike stock. At your height, probably anything is going to feel a little cramped, and moreso if you're a bigger guy. A seat change can put you higher and/or back further, giving you more leg room. Bar options are nearly endless, so you can do whatever you want to in order to put your posture/arms where you want them. Mid controls are going to be tight for you, almost certainly. Forward controls or even moving them farther forward is possible. It's all a factor of cash and a little bit of effort if you are at all mechanically inclined.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

I had a low rider in '02'.I'm 6'-0" & my girlfriend at the time was almost as tall as me.When we'd go riding with a few friends they said we looked like a couple of daddy long legs riding it.It didn't feel bad but bought a Heritage not long after,it was a lot more comfortable.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Rampant
Tourer

anything less than a touring bike like a road king you will probably look a bit odd on. Harleys are actually pretty small bikes.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I am 6' 5" and ride a Heritage, it fits me well with a few mods. I sent my seat to Mean City and had them move me back a few inches and put the floor board extenders on, it seems perfect. I tried a few touring bikes but they seem very cramped for me.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:23 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Big guy...bike bike. Simple.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:31 PM
ScrewballSurprise
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the responses guys. It's what I expected to hear, but not quite what I wanted to hear. Looks like I need to go forth and do research on forward controls, how handlebars change ratios, etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:31 PM
ScrewballSurprise
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the responses guys. It's what I expected to hear, but not quite what I wanted to hear. Looks like I need to go forth and do research on forward controls, how handlebars change ratios, etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 PM
pavespawn
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam and my Wide Glide fits me good.

Quick Reply: Tall Guys Unite! Question on bike sizing.