General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long can an engine go before need an overhaul?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default How long can an engine go before need an overhaul?

I was looking into buying an older used bike eventually but started thinking if I got one with higher mileage when do I have to start saving for an overhaul. I know in most cars they start wearing out at close to 300k but not to sure on a bike. Also what is the average cost to do one?

If it helps I am looking at mid 90 something Evo bikes.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw one Evo this summer that had 150k on it and the owner said he hadn't been into the motor except to put a cam in it at 50k. I've heard of other folks doing the top end at 100k just because they felt like it and it wasn't really needed. Proper maintenance will be the key to longevity.

When I was in the market for my first Harley, I looked at several Evo Dynas ranging in mileage from 8K-80k. I bought the one with 8k, but really most of them ran about the same as the next, the exception being ones that burned and leaked oil and it wasn't hard to tell from other signs that those bikes had been neglected. The worst one I looked at had 30k, it was much worse off than the one with 80k that had been meticulously maintained.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

But eventually even with proper maintenance the engine is going to need an overhaul cause the parts will wear out with excessive mileage.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
But eventually even with proper maintenance the engine is going to need an overhaul cause the parts will wear out with excessive mileage.
Yes, Harley's aren't magic, they will eventually wear out. When to start saving for it is up to you.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

How much you'll think it would cost then?

Old 11-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

I suggest you use the search function and google. That will provide you with a lot of reading on the subject.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

The factory used to have a rebuild service that went about $2800 for a complete R&R on the evo's using all new parts , you ended up with a new motor with your original cases. Actual R&R cost can vary widely, depending on what needs work and who you have do it. Have to do some footwork on your own in your area to get a working idea .

Old 11-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,552 Likes on 3,058 Posts

I've got 145,000 on the Road Glide/King in the Sig Line and still haven't split the cases. I put an aftermarket charging system on it at 55,000, a set of take off heads at 70,000 and cams (gear drive,) at 81,000 miles back in Jan '11. At 100,000 I started replacing wear items (IMO,) such as wheel bearings, swing arm bushings, fuel pump, relays, spring cap on the compensator etc as Preventive Maintenance. It's still the bike I take to work 4 out of 5 days and still uses no oil between 5,000 mile oil changes.

I don't think the new bikes are built for that kind of longevity (no more forged cranks or Timken lefty bearings like my bike has,) so I prefer the older motors too, either late Evo or 99 to 02 Twinkies. They started getting cheap after that because HD figured out (correctly,) that the vast percentage of bikes will never be asked to run that kind of mileage so why build them to?

Old 11-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I've got 145,000 on the Road Glide/King in the Sig Line and still haven't split the cases. I put an aftermarket charging system on it at 55,000, a set of take off heads at 70,000 and cams (gear drive,) at 81,000 miles back in Jan '11. At 100,000 I started replacing wear items (IMO,) such as wheel bearings, swing arm bushings, fuel pump, relays, spring cap on the compensator etc as Preventive Maintenance. It's still the bike I take to work 4 out of 5 days and still uses no oil between 5,000 mile oil changes.

I don't think the new bikes are built for that kind of longevity (no more forged cranks or Timken lefty bearings like my bike has,) so I prefer the older motors too, either late Evo or 99 to 02 Twinkies. They started getting cheap after that because HD figured out (correctly,) that the vast percentage of bikes will never be asked to run that kind of mileage so why build them to?
I guess the moco wouldn't make any money if they made them to run very long. The way that some people keep trading up,it going to be like a computer. You'll buy one then have to sell or trade before it gets too old or breaks.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:30 PM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy

The Twin Cam 88 engine from HD is just about bullet-proof. This engine is right when Harley really came into it's own and started producing quality, long-lasting engines. The Evo's were great, but the Twin Cam 88 really set Harley apart. I have an '02 Dyna, and the engine has never been a problem. I've had to replace the stator, other than that there has been no major problems.

Quick Reply: How long can an engine go before need an overhaul?