General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to hear a bad sound on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 08:43 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Starting to hear a bad sound on start up.

It only happens every so often but the soon has I hit the starter button I hear kind of a scraping sound as it turns over. I have a 2010 Ultra Classic about to turn over 32,000 miles. I bought the bike new and it's always had the best of care. I'm wondering if it could be the cam tensioners starting to go bad ? I think I heard it twice today but other than that it's been a while since I've heard it. My bike seems to run fine it's just the occasional start up noise that has me concerned. This is my first time dealing with this type of thing, any suggestions ? Thanks.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:52 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Seems like I "hear" new sounds every time I ride my Harley. I have 58k on it now, a 2010 StreetGlide. I have the ESP, let it blow up, CNA will pay for it.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:07 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
It only happens every so often but the soon has I hit the starter button I hear kind of a scraping sound as it turns over. I have a 2010 Ultra Classic about to turn over 32,000 miles. I bought the bike new and it's always had the best of care. I'm wondering if it could be the cam tensioners starting to go bad ? I think I heard it twice today but other than that it's been a while since I've heard it. My bike seems to run fine it's just the occasional start up noise that has me concerned. This is my first time dealing with this type of thing, any suggestions ? Thanks.
There's a known compensator issue causing similar noises.. Check out the dyna section...search compensator. Or check my recent posts. Should lead you to the dyna thread regarding start up noises and crappy OEM compensator in our bikes. Recent Q & A topic in tech section of American Iron magazine..hope this helps.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it has a new sound at start up it's totalled.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Could be the throw out clutch for the starter gear.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:22 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Could be the throw out clutch for the starter gear.
That would be my guess. I have the same thing about every 15 to 20 starts. Since it doesn't happen that often, I figure it's one of those things that you have to wait to break in order to diagnose/fix. Or is it?

Old 11-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C908
More than likely it's something in your primary drive area. Better to have someone check it out now before it does and damage or leaves you stranded.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:12 PM
tommytailspin
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
That would be my guess. I have the same thing about every 15 to 20 starts. Since it doesn't happen that often, I figure it's one of those things that you have to wait to break in order to diagnose/fix. Or is it?
yep, starter drive. i have a 2010 rk with 35,000 mi. its been that way a while. ill pull it off this winter. im going to local auto parts store to match it up toa toyota. ive learned they will outlast the moco ones big time. the reason i answered, i was 66 when i got the rk it was gently used with 8000 mi on it and man i know what you mean. i wished id have bought a pan head in high school so i didnt miss out on so much harley ridding. beautiful bikes, trumpet too! i also had a 79 bonneville(750) i rode for 30 years. congrats, you now have, imo, the best cruiser and runabout on the planet. tommytailspin

Old 11-03-2014, 06:40 PM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I noticed if I haven't ridden in a couple of days when I press the ignition button and the bike turns over three of four times if it doesn't start I hear this AWFUL HARD CLANK sound like metal against metal. It really sounds like something is going to break. Anyone else?

Last edited by doug62; 11-03-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by doug62
I noticed if I haven't ridden in a couple of days when I press the ignition button and the bike turns over three of four times if it doesn't start I hear this AWFUL HARD CLANK sound like metal against metal. It really sounds like something is going to break. Anyone else?
Yeah......compensator! See above

Quick Reply: Starting to hear a bad sound on start up.