General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Fjgo77
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebags

I put some throw over saddlebags on my iron but didn't want to bilt on any support brackets. The bags are on pretty secure but are touching the rear shocks. Is this bad? Should I just put the support brackets on?

Old 11-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Renegadewolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 279 Posts

If it was me I would put the brackets on, I wouldn't want the shocks rubbing against the bags. I do have the brackets on my bike and I'm glad I put them on.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:35 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 965 Likes on 460 Posts

Just get into the habit of only putting the bags on when you are going to need them for something. Yeah, it's a tiny bit of extra work taking them on and off, but big deal, if you're not lazy it's barely enough time to type out a sentence on a forum to whine about it, heh heh.

As for them rubbing/touching the shock, again...no big deal. It's not going to wear either of the things so long as you're only using the bags when you need them and not on semi-permanently.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1. I don't like the looks of saddle bags. I bought a Switchback that has removable hard bags and I never put them on unless I'm going on a road trip that requires the use of them. If I need something to store cargo for shorter trips, I'll wear a back pack.

Saddlebags are a lot like the trunk of a car. They are filled with nothing but useless junk 80% of the time. I could never see why people like to carry around pounds of useless junk when they ride.

My signature picture was a ride a small group of us did last month from Fort Lauderdale to Asheville and back. 2033 miles round trip. The hard bags were an absolute necessity. I needed some place to put my cigars and bourbon

Last edited by Thumper09; 11-12-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:41 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I use my saddlebags just about every time I go out. I used them just today. Plus I put stuff in there I use enough to justify having them. I believe you can get quick disconnect brackets for the bike.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:32 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We used a swing arm saddlebag for my wife's 883N. it worked great and looked even better!!!!

Old 11-12-2014, 12:08 PM
Fjgo77
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Diablo1957
If it was me I would put the brackets on, I wouldn't want the shocks rubbing against the bags. I do have the brackets on my bike and I'm glad I put them on.
I appreciate the input

Old 11-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Fjgo77
Stage IV

Originally Posted by tar_snake
Just get into the habit of only putting the bags on when you are going to need them for something. Yeah, it's a tiny bit of extra work taking them on and off, but big deal, if you're not lazy it's barely enough time to type out a sentence on a forum to whine about it, heh heh.

As for them rubbing/touching the shock, again...no big deal. It's not going to wear either of the things so long as you're only using the bags when you need them and not on semi-permanently.
its not so much the laziness it's that I don't plan on using them all the time and when I don't i don't want the eyesore of the supports on my bike

Old 11-12-2014, 12:45 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it rubs. It will abrade. Bags and shocks will eventually show rub marks. If that will bother you--change something. Not a big fan of abuse but it is a machine. It will show wear. Some you can prevent ---some you can't. Pick what you can live with or be prepared to spend money repairing cosmetics.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Roorat60
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Fjgo77
I put some throw over saddlebags on my iron but didn't want to bilt on any support brackets. The bags are on pretty secure but are touching the rear shocks. Is this bad? Should I just put the support brackets on?
I don't use saddlebags on my Iron, but have the HD Detachable Sissy Bar and a large luggage bag that slides over the bar. The bag takes over the passenger seat, but I don't ride 2 up anyway.

Quick Reply: Saddlebags