General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter wackiness

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Winter wackiness

The hibernating hog. I don't understand. I'm not saying you should attempt to ride on the ice. I also understand that perhaps it's too cold and you'd rather ride in warm weather. The salt on the road argument is one I don't understand. You will drive your car on the salt. Do you immediately wash your car everyday it contacts salt? All these people who complain that salt will damage their motorcycle but don't worry about it hurting their car? Since based on the posts here a lot of these hibernating hogs are new and replace another bike that was only a couple of years old. Salt schmalt, it's a vehicle use it when you can or move it into a bubble in your living room (seems to be a popular storage location). Just a rant. Flame on...

Old 11-25-2014, 09:00 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Don't you live in Louisiana or Mississippi?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:09 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Florida now, but rode year around when I was stationed in Colorado and North Carolina. Also rode year around in Indiana. Snow didn't stop me. Heavy icing did occasionally. If the roads were salted there wasn't a whole lot of ice to worry about though. I'm not saying that you should ride in ice or snow but I'd you get a nice day don't let the salt stop you.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Different towns,counties,and highway departments here use salt,sand,cinders,or a mix of these,for ice control. These materials stay on the road and act as a lubricant between your tires and the road surface. In some spots,this stuff can be 1/4 or 1/2 inch deep-especially at intersections and on curves.
It can be a real hazard for a bike,not so much for a four wheeler. Every spring we wait for the first couple of rains to wash this crap off the roads. However,my reason for parking the bike at this time of the year is that it is just too damn cold and I don't enjoy having to bundle up in a ton of clothes to ride.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:23 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I stand corrected.

To answer from my perspective -

I do drive a car all year because it's necessary, safer, and I don't have as big a passion for it as I do my bikes. That said, I never drove any of my vintage BMWs or Porsches in the winter, or rain for that matter.

I actually do ride all year, but on an Enduro. Knobbies grip better. More non ferrous parts are used. It's a lot easier to pick up-The bike is lighter. It is used to being dropped. And finally, it's 1/10th the cost of my Street Glide.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:34 AM
Muttleybass
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, up here in Vancouver it rains for 4 months at a time. We can't get out enough to justify the insurance cost.

Plus, I tend to think of my truck as a tool. A few pits in the chrome doesn't bother me as much as on my bike. I know my truck will last well over 300,000 miles if I take care of it mechanically. I don't really care as much what it looks like, because I haul everything from furniture to dirt. A few scratches and a bit of surface rust are expected.

My bike is more of a luxury. It's my joy and my hobby. Sometimes I'll just go out to the garage, stare at it and think to myself "Wow. Sure is SHINY". I'm proud of the condition I keep it in, it's actually worth twice as much as my truck, and if I ever have to sell it, I want to get as much as I can for it. It's totally unnecessary, except for my sanity, and I want to keep it in as great of condition as I possibly can. I worked hard for it and I don't want it to become a piece of ****.

That's my feeling. However I totally understand those who don't give a crap what their bikes look like. I personally just like to take care of my toys.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:38 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Dont have to deal with salt where I live now, its cinder. Equally troublesome IMHO. Washing that Indiana brine mix off my cars in the dead of winter was always a bi*tch back in the Hoosier state. Riding here in the Land of Entrapment with cinders thrown down for traction is a mess also. Can make for a slippery surface when dry.
I just dont ride in the cold anymore. Mine are sleeping quitely now on their tenders.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:41 AM
firecop9774
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"
My bike is more of a luxury. It's my joy and my hobby. Sometimes I'll just go out to the garage, stare at it and think to myself "Wow. Sure is SHINY". I'm proud of the condition I keep it in, it's actually worth twice as much as my truck, and if I ever have to sell it, I want to get as much as I can for it. It's totally unnecessary, except for my sanity, and I want to keep it in as great of condition as I possibly can. I worked hard for it and I don't want it to become a piece of ****.

That's my feeling. However I totally understand those who don't give a crap what their bikes look like. I personally just like to take care of my toys."

What he said. +1

Old 11-25-2014, 09:57 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

They lay down a mix of brine and sand here at the slightest hint of ice or snow. The brine can cause rust on rotors and other metal exposed to it, almost overnight. If not washed off it will even pit chrome, over time. The sand is slicker than snow when it sits on the streets, especially on the corners and curves where it collects. To each their own way. My bike is the only vehicle I own and I don't plan on buying another so it needs to be kept up with.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:03 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorlaw
The hibernating hog. I don't understand. I'm not saying you should attempt to ride on the ice. I also understand that perhaps it's too cold and you'd rather ride in warm weather. The salt on the road argument is one I don't understand. You will drive your car on the salt. Do you immediately wash your car everyday it contacts salt? All these people who complain that salt will damage their motorcycle but don't worry about it hurting their car? Since based on the posts here a lot of these hibernating hogs are new and replace another bike that was only a couple of years old. Salt schmalt, it's a vehicle use it when you can or move it into a bubble in your living room (seems to be a popular storage location). Just a rant. Flame on...
Don't you live in Florida ?......

Quick Reply: Winter wackiness