General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taller Types - Street Glide vs Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:13 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taller Types - Street Glide vs Road King

No matter the seat, the bar type, bar height, pullback, controls, etc., I can't get anywhere near as comfortable on my Street Glide as my Dyna Wide Glide. For those of you with inseams of at least 34 in., what is your experience between the two models?
Thanks!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I am 6'3" & 200 lbs with a 34" inseam. I ride all families of HD's. I just fold up more on the smaller bikes or stretch out on a touring bike. No need to change a thing. A pocket knife can be out straight or folded. So can your legs.

I have done one day 1,000 mile rides on all of them over the years.

Just adapt to the bike. Have you ever seen a video of Jesse James ride on of his creations? He is almost folded up and leaning forward with his heels almost contacting his rump.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:52 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I am 6'3" & 200 lbs with a 34" inseam. I ride all families of HD's. I just fold up more on the smaller bikes or stretch out on a touring bike. No need to change a thing. A pocket knife can be out straight or folded. So can your legs.

I have done one day 1,000 mile rides on all of them over the years.

Just adapt to the bike. Have you ever seen a video of Jesse James ride on of his creations? He is almost folded up and leaning forward with his heels almost contacting his rump.
You must be the healthiest guy ever, but I've got 30k on my 2012 sg and after 200 miles, it's a pain. Doesn't mean I don't ride 700 miles in a day but I'd like to feel like I didn't just get my *** kicked when I get off. My lower back hurts, my shoulders hurt and I generally feel lousy. I've got over 100k on my Dyna and can ride it forever with no back issues. So thanks, but that ain't the answer that's going to help me a bit.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:54 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Seat doesn't help???
That would be my first thing to try is a seat with 2 inches of extra room.
Can't find a seat, try having it made to fit you. less costly and will fit you much better.
The next thing would consider a forward extension kit. Sometimes it takes a spell to find what you want but it is out there.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Seat doesn't help???
That would be my first thing to try is a seat with 2 inches of extra room.
Can't find a seat, try having it made to fit you. less costly and will fit you much better.
The next thing would consider a forward extension kit. Sometimes it takes a spell to find what you want but it is out there.
I'm on my third seat now - Hammock - and I have forward controls.

Has anyone tall ridden an RK and liked it over a Street Glide?

Old 11-26-2014, 09:14 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Have you thought about the extended reach floor boards and the extended heel/toe shifter? Also you can add highway pegs.

Using the same seat on both the SG and RK, I would think the seating positions are the same. I'm guessing the shocks on the RK are longer but I can't see that making a difference once you're in a riding position.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:28 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm 6'3" with 34" inseam. I felt crampt on the street glide on an extended test ride. I felt like I had more room on the road glide and road king. I ultimately went with the king. I always wished I'd have gone with the road glide but couldn't get the one I wanted so I went with the king.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:04 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm only 5'11" with a 32" inseam and feel cramped on my son-in-law's Street Glide. Not so much on the Road King. On long rides on the RK, after a while my feet would feel like they weighed 50 lbs each and was difficult to lift or move around any. The addition of highway pegs solved that issue for me. Guess being in one position wasn't a good thing, no matter what.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:13 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

I am 34-34 and my 07 Road King is more comfortable than my
2000 Wide Glide was. However the street glide and road king share
the same frame, and the only real difference is the cosmetics and
the rear shocks.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

34 inseam, 190lbs here with an 09 RK. Stock saddle with Heritage bars. Do at least one cross country trip a year on it. Did two this year. 200 miles in one sitting is about the longest I can go. Usually try to break it up before that, about 150-180, then take a break walk a bit. I've tried to push it a few times, but just because the bike can go 200+ between fill ups doesn't mean I should. After a day of that my neck and shoulders are one big knot, and it takes a couple of days to recover.

Quick Reply: Taller Types - Street Glide vs Road King