General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding HD Finance

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:11 PM
stikss
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding HD Finance

So... I've had several bikes over the years... the last being in 2009. I've been through some tough financial issues since, but I am on the upswing finally. I've been looking through various sites at new and used bikes, and just earlier I went on HD site and submitted a credit app... which it links a local dealership to the app and I chose ***'s Harley Davidson in Asheboro NC because they're offering some pretty nice deals for purchasing a bike. I was approved for a decent amount, and I'm wanting a street glide... doesn't have to be new, but the question is this.... after I was approved, it says take the approval to the dealership I chose to complete the deal. Well... what if I find another bike I want that's not at this particular store? Can I go elsewhere with this approval?

**Nevermind** found this on the website

Q: Do I have to go to the Harley-Davidson® dealer I shared my application/have an approval with?
A: No, you may visit any Harley-Davidson® dealer location. However, if you chose to go to a different Harley-Davidson® dealer you will need to submit a new application at that dealer.

Last edited by stikss; 12-14-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:16 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i think they use the preferred dealer that you choose as a reference point, it should be ok to take the approval to another dealer since its based on your credit score and the info you gave them.... at least it stands to reason in my mind

Old 12-14-2014, 01:20 PM
stikss
4th Gear

Originally Posted by deano360
i think they use the preferred dealer that you choose as a reference point, it should be ok to take the approval to another dealer since its based on your credit score and the info you gave them.... at least it stands to reason in my mind

The same I was thinking as well.... but I found the Q & A on the website and it says you have to reapply... which I bet the dealership only has to call and update the info... I can imagine submitting multiple apps to the same creditor... somewhere in this world of technology the computer would flag them to an already open app!!

Old 12-14-2014, 01:24 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the other thing is, if you decide to buy from a dealer.. you can have them check other creditors for better finance rates, HD doesnt have the best rates, and you should be able to get a better rate from someone else... eaglemark sucks on rates, eaglemark is harleys credit company

Old 12-14-2014, 02:40 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Credit union!!!

Old 12-14-2014, 03:00 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by deano360
the other thing is, if you decide to buy from a dealer.. you can have them check other creditors for better finance rates, HD doesnt have the best rates, and you should be able to get a better rate from someone else... eaglemark sucks on rates, eaglemark is harleys credit company
Originally Posted by hoethree
Credit union!!!
beware of sweeping generalizations. eaglemark is not always the highest. when i bought my bike, my local credit union was doing 6.49% on new bike loans (which i thought was high, but best in this area. unless you wanted variable). just on a lark, i let them run my app through eaglemark, came back at 1.9%.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Same here. I got very competitive rates from HD when I bought my bike. Way too many variables in play to make any general statements.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:11 PM
NuckaMan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Few key's here before applying for credit....

Do you have established credit...for how long? Also, how much you planning on putting down? And most importantly, what is your FICO score?

Very general of thumb....FICO score of 720 and above, 20% down will get you the best rate a particular bank offers. Some days will be Eaglemark, some days it will be someone else. It all depends on how much risk the bank wants to take and what the market is doing. If Harley wants to move some bikes and offers a .99% promotion through their Eaglemark bank, you will be hard pressed to find another bank that can beat it....considering this is a motorcycle loan.

While it's not a completely fair system (in my opinion), it's very important to maintain a excellent FICO score so when it comes time for loans and credit....you will always be in the driver seat. How do you get a good FICO score? Live within your means and be on time with all your obligations.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:32 PM
stikss
4th Gear

I've read about the history of high rates with Eagle, and I'm with a credit union but honestly I haven't checked with them. Ive just started looking around over the last week. I have my mind set on a Amber Whiskey Street Glide... prefer to find a used one, and I have... Just trying to decide if the "Special" is worth the little bit more than a standard bike. Any suggestions?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:36 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

its a toy, save up , and pay cash, you will thank me later

Quick Reply: Question regarding HD Finance