General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a good lift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:36 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,327 Likes on 8,540 Posts
Default What's a good lift?

Looking to buy a lift for small jobs like removing shocks & forks, tires, etc. on Sportster & Dyna. Rated 1000-1500 lbs. Under $150. Any recommendations

Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

15 or more years ago i went to Sams club and purchased their lfy for maybe $100. After all these years it is still working. I own a nice pneumatic lift but still use the elcheapo for washing and detailing.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

This is my Sams club special when it was not very old.

Attached Thumbnails What's a good lift?-flhtci-mar03.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

This is my $800 Greg Smith Pneumatic Lift

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/

Attached Thumbnails What's a good lift?-lift2.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Default What's a good lift?

couple shots of ol'#7 usually works for me.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:38 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

IMO I don't think you can find a better, more versatile lift in the $150 range then Harbor Freights High Position Lift. I got mine on sale about 4 years ago for $145. Looks like they currently have it on sale for $179:
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html I use mine frequently and wouldn't want to be without it. I've never come across anything that I couldn't do with it. I even use it when detailing the bikes. Make it a breeze to rotate & clean the wheels & tires. Incredible lift for that kind of money.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:31 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

have you tried using the forum Search feature?

Old 12-16-2014, 03:46 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
IMO I don't think you can find a better, more versatile lift in the $150 range then Harbor Freights High Position Lift. I got mine on sale about 4 years ago for $145. Looks like they currently have it on sale for $179:
http://www.harborfreight.com/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html I use mine frequently and wouldn't want to be without it. I've never come across anything that I couldn't do with it. I even use it when detailing the bikes. Make it a breeze to rotate & clean the wheels & tires. Incredible lift for that kind of money.

I've kept looking at this lift and my biggest issue is the limited access to the other side of the bike while on the lift. I often work on both sides of the bike and can't get past it.

I remember you stating it's not a big deal in another thread. But I've seen that lift in person at HF and on YouTube, I just don't like how much space that lift takes up on the other side. I know that if I can't get access at the exact angles I need to work on that side it would irritate me to no end.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:57 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I want to see a picture of this 1000-1500 lb Sportster/Dyna.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:32 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I've kept looking at this lift and my biggest issue is the limited access to the other side of the bike while on the lift. I often work on both sides of the bike and can't get past it.

I remember you stating it's not a big deal in another thread. But I've seen that lift in person at HF and on YouTube, I just don't like how much space that lift takes up on the other side. I know that if I can't get access at the exact angles I need to work on that side it would irritate me to no end.

Understood baka, that would be a major annoyance. But just think back on some of the past tasks you've done to your bikes, keeping in mind that the lift works from either side. Can you think of anything that couldn't have been done? I've had 3 different bikes on that lift for total makeovers to where all that was left intact on the bikes were motor, trans & frame. And not once has that been an issue. Even with both wheels off you can still lower the bikes frame onto a couple 4"x 6" then picked it up again from the other side. And that's only a few minutes ordeal. I too was a little apprehensive about that. But in thinking it through, I decided I would rather have my wheels clear of the ground, than sitting up on a table lift. Especially when changing shocks under a Softail. Now that I've been using it for the past 4 years, I determined that these "fork type" lifts are perfect for my needs. If ever I replace it, it would be just to have an automatic pump that I can run off a compressor, rather than the hand pump. Fortunately they're very inexpensive. So if you decided sometime down the line that it don't fit your needs, you can always sell it for like $50.00 less than you paid for it. You'll have got way over $50.00 worth of use out of it, right?

Best wishes with your decision.

Quick Reply: What's a good lift?