General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a CVO Roadking but miss my Softail..

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Got a CVO Roadking but miss my Softail..

Well i traded my Fatboy in for a CVO RoadKing awhile back and i Love it especially for 2 up riding, but the one thing i just cant seem to learn to like is the sitting on top of the bike feel verses sitting down low in the bike feel of the Softail and it was so much more nimble. King also has a top heavy feeling that you dont notice while riding but you do notice when your parking it and walking it around or really slow tight riding.. Ive gotten use to it after alot of riding but i still notice it if i park the bike for 2 weeks or so and then get back on it. Heck i used to park my Fatboy for the entire winter and then jump back on in the spring and it was like i never stopped.. Im not saying i would ever get rid of my CVO King as its an awsome bike and i would miss the bags and amazing 2 up comfort and all the extra goodies it came with.. but lets just say the Breakout has been calling my name for awhile and i think it would be a good bike once i install some foot boards and reduce reach bars..LOL well see. Maybe someone just needs to talk some sense into me!!!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a touring bike for long trips and a softail for short fun trips. Get the picture?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
I have a touring bike for long trips and a softail for short fun trips. Get the picture?
Oh ya i got the picture..lol.. Just dont have the extra moola for another bike right now.. I wish i did cause thats a no brainer.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Buy a C & C seat, it will allow the "in the bike feel."

Old 12-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I feel for you, because I went through the same thing, although my Road King was just a regular one. I went back to a Fat Boy, my 3rd Softail, and after a few minor mods, its the favorite Harley I've ever owned. The Road King is a darn nice bike, but I just never "bonded" with it. I do think the Fat Boy is better for the way I ride, & is easier to handle around town and, like you said, at very low speeds. I can go as far and as long on the Fat Boy as I did with the Road King, but the Road King was a better two-up bike, but I don't need that. And I have to agree, the Breakout does have eyes!

Old 12-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Buy a C & C seat, it will allow the "in the bike feel."
I dont know,.. the seat the CVO King came with is pretty low already. Much lower then the standard Kings seat. I literally looks like it only an inch thick. The bigger issue is that top heavy feeling at really slow speeds and walking the bike around.. Dont get me wrong this CVO is dripping with awsome as far as the looks and all the goodies but she is a top heavy Beast.. well see.. Dont think i can part with it tho for a different bike.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
This. Priorities have to be adjusted and sacrifices made...

Seriously, 2 Harley's is a good start. Springer for the short to short-ish hops, and the RK for everything (for me.).

Old 12-16-2014, 05:44 PM
RiverB
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've ridden for 45 years, but am only about three months into Harley ownership - a 2001 Road King Classic. I feel a little less inept to hear you make the same complaints I have (and they are my ONLY complaints - I've been missing out for decades).

I've learned most of the tricks, but always risk being over-confident in the slow, dicey situations. I've only dropped it once, but I still come too damned close to doing so every few rides (or parks, really ).

So I guess I'll go on a mission to lower the center of gravity, and look into the "C & C seat".

Old 12-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RiverB
I've ridden for 45 years, but am only about three months into Harley ownership - a 2001 Road King Classic. I feel a little less inept to hear you make the same complaints I have (and they are my ONLY complaints - I've been missing out for decades).

I've learned most of the tricks, but always risk being over-confident in the slow, dicey situations. I've only dropped it once, but I still come too damned close to doing so every few rides (or parks, really ).

So I guess I'll go on a mission to lower the center of gravity, and look into the "C & C seat".
One thing too is your 2001 RoadKing classic weights 760lbs.. My 2014 CVO King weights 822lbs..

Old 12-16-2014, 05:57 PM
RiverB
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yo... Where's all that additional weight? Is it up high?

No way I'm stripping mine down, but I'm definitely on the lookout for lowering the CG. Probably go with a LIon battery over the winter, as I doubt the original's going to last much longer anyway. Just a drop in the bucket, but every drop counts.

Beautiful King you've got there, btw. Mine's WAY more "retro" looking - to me it leans in the Softail direction, style-wise, even with the hard bags. I wonder what the fundamental difference in CG actually is...

Quick Reply: Got a CVO Roadking but miss my Softail..