General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soap for washing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:37 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 997 Likes on 593 Posts
Question Soap for washing?

What's a great soap to use that easily cuts the grime, is safe for all motorcycle surfaces, and doesn't leave spots when it dries?

Old 12-17-2014, 01:45 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

50% simple green with water + leaf blower. Add a shot of jet dry (dishwasher spot free rinse) for a spot free finish.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:46 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,264 Likes on 11,133 Posts

Water spots has a lot to do with your water hardness. Expect to dry the bike with a chamois/micro fiber if you don't want spots. A leaf blower is another drying alternative.
I use car wash soap and a sudsy mit on my bike.
Goes without saying, do not wash when the engine is hot. Do not use a pressure washer.

Last edited by upflying; 12-17-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:55 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

I use Adams premium car care ca wash soap or Surf city garage "stripper" car wash concentrate if I want to strip my wax off the bike and redo. Then I use Adams or chemical guy's all purpose cleaner on my engine and tranny cases, under carriage, and tires.

Along with the normal 2- bucket wash. One with soapy water one with clean to rinse wash mitt. Grit guards in the bottom of each bucket to clean the mitt and keep grit/ dirt from getting stirred up. Works great, and I use a soft bristle brush on the engine and tranny cases, wheels, and tires.

Then use an air compressor to dry, ideally a blower would work better.

Originally Posted by upflying
Water spots has a lot to do with your water hardness. Expect to dry the bike with a chamois/micro fiber if you don't want spots. A leaf blower is another drying alternative.
I use car wash soap and a sudsy mit on my bike.
Goes without saying, do not wash when the engine is hot. Do not use a pressure washer.
Also a good car wash soap, not washing in the direct sunlight, and some sort of forced air drying really eliminate water spots. I haven't had to mess with water spots since I started using a good soap and washing out of direct sunlight.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-17-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

I have used turtles hell wash n wax on all of my vehicles. Has always worked well on the whole motorcycle. Just blow the water off with an electric leaf blower and all will be good.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:50 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

When I use soap, I just use car wash soap and a lot of water. But most of the time I use Windex.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 PM
tenn volunteer
Tourer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

When I wash my HD, I use Eagle One Nano Wax as u dry. I don't wash my bike often. I normally use Honda Gloss detailer. I get many compliments for having such a clean car or motorcycle. I try to keep them looking new.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Simple Green, Windex and Dawn dishwashing soap will all strip the wax off the bike.

Car wash soap if I don't plan on waxing. (it leaves the wax coat on)
Dawn for when I want to strip the wax off before I clay bar the paint.
Simple Green straight up on cool, wet metal (not painted surfaces) to deep clean and rinse off very fast and thoroughly. (cuts road grime very well)
Aluminum wheel cleaner and a fingernail brush and/or toothbrush to clean the diamond cut jugs. (rinse thoroughly afterward)

In Florida I wax with a hard shell wax. I've never found a soft wax that works well in the heat and humidity.

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-17-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Sleepintiger
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

I use hair shampoo. Use one for oily scalps. It cuts the oil and grime while putting a sheen on my bike. The best thing is that there are no water spots and my bike shines like a new penny. Cost wise, most hair shampoos are cheaper than car wash products. I detail my bike with McGuire's in between washes.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:06 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleepintiger
I use hair shampoo. Use one for oily scalps. It cuts the oil and grime while putting a sheen on my bike. The best thing is that there are no water spots and my bike shines like a new penny. Cost wise, most hair shampoos are cheaper than car wash products. I detail my bike with McGuire's in between washes.
What if I don't have hair? My OL uses that fancy, high-dollar salon shampoo. If she caught me using that on my bike, the only tail I'd be getting is from my bike!! LMAO!

Quick Reply: Soap for washing?