General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Harley!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 09:38 PM
mlastra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Harley!

Just got home from the Harley Dealer doing a little window shopping and saw a Bike that grabbed my attention...My Question is what is one to expect when buying a Harley from the Dealer...Is it like a buy a car when one can bargain with the Dealer? Is it better to come with check in hand or to let the Dealer finance the deal? I have even heard that most dealer throw in like $500 worth of goodies once the deal is completed.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:49 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes. There is room to work a deal, especially on accessories and service. The only thing that you will get after the deal is a t shirt and maybe a hat or other trinket. Anything else you want must be part of the deal and written in the contract before you sign. As far as financing it depends on your credit and harley financing deals. I financed one through harley @1.9% (best rate at that time) and another at a credit union for 2.4% as harley wanted 5.9 at that time. Got to shop your rates.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Riptide1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my experiences with dealers I respond to the following questions as:

?1, Not all, but most will bend u over if u let them, "no grease included!
?2, "Everything is negotiable", just have to be shrewd about it, like poker.
?3, Dealers make more money when a item is financed, kick backs.

Go to your local dealer and see what they have, model, asking price , etc.
Tell them you WILL be purchasing a bike and you are shopping for the best price.
Tell them you need an itemized sale quote in writing for whatever.
Remember, they will hit u up w/ a dealers fee which ranges from $600-$1000 depending on the dealership.

If you can find a left over 14 model you could save yourself some dough.

Use your head and do your research.
A slight travel to another city or state could save you thousands.

Last but not least, sales personnel are like sharks, they will eat u alive if you let them.
Finally, before you sign a sales contract, read it thoroughly, don't be afraid to ask about charges or anything else you don't understand or agree with.
Remember, this is a business deal, keep the emotions out of the equation.
Rejoice AFTER you drive off with your new ride.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Riptide1; 12-26-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Beretta52
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If the Dealership has strong customer service at hand, they will work with you to get you on the bike you want. Of course some things prevail first. Strong credit determines tier rate thru Eaglemark Savings Bank,( Harley's main lender). Higher the credit score, better the lending rate. Harley was offering 0% interest financing on 2014 models couple months back. Not sure if that deal is still on the table. Credit Unions & other banks may have better rates. Having cash in hand will do nothing on a Harley purchase but it would on a vehicle. A strong commitment to making the deal on the same day might have a bit of luck in your favor. Some models may have a bigger discount than others. Ex: when I looked at a 2015 Electra Glide Ultra limited, It retailed app $27K. My dealer would have discounted the bike $2k if I bought it same day. I ended up with a 2015 Street Glide Special, Amber Whiskey with zero cash down, but I had very strong credit and bought on my second visit. I wanted to test ride several models before committing to the Street Glide Special too. Also, SGS model is HArley's #1 seller so the discount was not as much. the more inventory on hand the better the chance of getting a decent deal. Most dealers want all 14's gone for the 15's. Also, sales tax varies state to state. as do fees. Do some homework, and get all the information you can when you hit a Dealer. The more you know, the easier the process. Harley dealerships don't act like car
dealer "schleps" do. And going "preowned" will not get you the financing
or a better deal than buying new. Good luck!!!

Old 12-27-2014, 07:16 AM
mlastra
Intermediate

The Deal did treat me well while I was there and yes it was a 2014 that currently on "sale". The salesman even took the time to give me a tour of the place but he was not annoying.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

like any vehicle sale, they will pretend to be your best friend while screwing you over with no lube.

they make 5 grand on every bike, before they add the "doc fees" and other crap.

If you are lucky you will get a tee shirt.

never fall in love with something that can't love you back, it is a bike, there are others out there, don't over pay.

remember there is a used one with low miles on Craigslist for a lot less money, and with the chrome already added.

Example: I have a 13 FLHTK with 6K on it, stage 4 kit installed at delivery, with about 3 grand in other mods.... I got it used for half of what a friend paid for his new and he doesn't have the engine mods....

don't be afraid to get up and walk away ...right out the door. It is YOUR money and they are trying to get it from you.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Depends...did they view you as a "kid in a candy store w/pocket full of ca$h" or "this person knows how to deal" customer? I'm saying it's probably the 1st option...

What bike ya look'n to purchase & did you at least test drive it?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

You can't group the "dealer experience", each one runs things their own way.

Some will move on price, others may not.

Shouldn't matter if you finance vs pay cash. If you finance thru the dealer they make a bit of a profit on the loan, so they may move a bit on the price.

If they're selling all they care to at MSRP, there is little incentive for them to move on the price.

All depends. On the dealer, and the customer.

No law against going in and trying to negotiate, the worse case is they turn your offer down, best case is you get a nice new bike. If they don't want to move on price, ask for freebies like first service, etc.........

I got my Ultra for a couple thousand under MSRP last spring, they wanted to move that color (amber/silver) they had a few of those on the floor.

But once I got the bike I very quickly forgot about how much I paid for it.
Almost a year ago now, and I never even think about it.

Buy a bike at whatever price you can afford, or are comfortable with.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

All of above is true. Because of varying dealer fees, I'd suggest you shop "Out The Door Prices", so you can compare apples to apples. This website may give you some info & ammunition: http://www.seedealercost.com/product...ug/powersports If I remember correctly, the prices are based on black bikes and do not include freight. I don't know how accurate it is, but a buddy just bought a new RK with the fancy brakes & some other factory installed extras. Claims he paid what he figured was a $500 profit, after estimating & adding the cost of the brakes, security, freight, & set up. Good luck, have fun, and ride safe!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Bigbob88
Tourer

when I bought my 2011 Electra Glide Limited they nocked off the freight about $500 and a free T-shirt. This time I'm thinking if I get top trade in book value + another $1000 off on trade in on a 2015 Electra Glide Classic I may go for it. I know they don't usually shave much off on sticker price.

Quick Reply: Buying a Harley!