General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever Had a Flat Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Bird-man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever Had a Flat Tire?

So, in my decision making process on the Road King I am of course debating the standard or the classic. It seems there are a few differences, but maybe only two that seem important...at least to me.

Cruise control...never had it, not sure if it is that important.

Laced, spoked wheels...maintenance and what if you have a flat tire. Spoked wheels = tubed tire = towing to a repair facility or a roadside repair company.

So, I wondered. How often does a flat tire happen on an MC? I haven't had a flat tire on my pickup in at least 10 years. Can't remember the last time. Or on my wife's car.

I tend to replace tires when they start looking skinny. I'd rather spend the money and have good rubber under me. And it seems like that would be even more important with only two tires!

Just wondering if that laced spoked wheel, tubed tire should be a deal breaker on the classic....because I really like the look.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:35 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had one flat tire in 10 years. Unfortunately for me, I picked up a nail by my house and I was unable to air up the tire before taking it to the shop...

Cruise control is worthless in Colorado too...lol.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Had two flats in years of riding. And on both the tires went flat while the bike was sitting in the garage from nails picked up on a ride.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Bird-man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by austinslider
I've had one flat tire in 10 years. Unfortunately for me, I picked up a nail by my house and I was unable to air up the tire before taking it to the shop...

Cruise control is worthless in Colorado too...lol.
HAHA!! Thanks, I wondered about that. I can see on a long highway trip where it might give you some right arm relief, but where I live and ride, it would be of limited value.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It'll only take one flat before you'll be wishing for those tubeless rims. I'm looking for some for the wife's '07 Heritage right now.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:20 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

AAA with motorcycle coverage or HOG membership are your best friend when it comes to flat tires - more times than not you won't get a flat, but when it happens it suxs.
I'm not a fan for cruise control but on some of the roads like 285 west of Kenosha pass - during off hrs, would be a place you could engage it

Old 12-29-2014, 12:22 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
It'll only take one flat before you'll be wishing for those tubeless rims. I'm looking for some for the wife's '07 Heritage right now.
i got one on my dyna when i had it, the bike had laced wheels.. i said at that time, the idea of the laced was a bad one, at least for me... no more laced wheels for me, only tubeless

Old 12-29-2014, 12:36 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

I bought a RK Classic over a Standard because I prefer leather bags & spokes, to hard bags & mags. If I had found a nice RK before my Classic, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker, however.

I have a very good flat history. I have owned 45 bikes; 19 of which were Harleys, & the only flat I ever got was on my very first bike (BSA) the first week I owned it. It was one of those "sneaky" flats--where you put the bike away OK & the tire is flat in the morning. Shop I bought it from fixed it for free.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:37 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I haven't had one on a bike, ever...yet. So on this bike, I added " Ride On" in my tires. It's supposed to prevent flats and it balances them too.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Haven't had a flat on my bikes in over 10 years. No experience with tubed tires, so can't offer anything there. I do like cruise control, it's nice to give the wrist a break for a little while on longer rides.
Plus, it makes going no hands much easier.

Quick Reply: Ever Had a Flat Tire?