General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braving the elements...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Braving the elements...

So, in another thread, Benway asked who is out riding. Here in Maryland, it was supposed to reach the mid forties today, so I took the bike out for a little ride around rural Frederick County, MD. In fact, I believe the mercury only made it up to 37 or so...there were still a few icy patches from our most recent snowfall.

To be sure, Maryland does not have many spectacular vistas such as one sees out west, but I think the countryside here has its own gentle beauty, and even in the dead of winter there is a certain charm. I took a few pictures, if anyone is interested...

Route 17...one of my favorite roads, which passes through beautiful western Maryland farm country:

As you can see, there is a bit of ice to watch for, but the more common hazard is mud from the local farms which the tractors drag onto the pavement.

The local vistas are pretty, and there are a number of historical houses to see:

The above is a typical farmhouse...I think some of these date from the late 18th century, though I don't know the date of that particular example.

MD 17 winds through Burkittsville, which if anyone remembers was the setting for the "Blair Witch Project:"

Any other Marylanders out and about? If you like, post your favorite roads.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

A little wind therapy always does the mind and body good even if it is cool.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:16 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice pics....looks like my favorite kind of riding. I've ridden through snow, sleet and hail but that glare ice always puckers up my bum and I will avoid it if at all possible. Like waiting for it to melt.
That's a beautiful old stone farm house that someone has ruined with those addons....JMHO, though.
Thanks for posting.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:20 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,251 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Well, in home sweet Oklahoma it got up to 73* yesterday and sunny with no wind. `Had a terrific ride and didn`t want to go home, but did when it got close to sunset. Then the temps started going down quickly.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:28 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Those are great photos!

Im in Houston Texas (36 miles north actually) and its not the weather that's the issue...its the traffic.

Boom times and speeding traffic along w/ the eternal road construction make for not so great riding.

Cant wait to leave here next year for good...

Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Great pictures, espiecally the last one of the white home. It'd be nice to see the inside of it.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:31 PM
NetworkMD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I love the rural areas everywhere

Old 01-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Bird-man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pics. I bet the western horse country is a pretty ride in the summer. Went through it once and I remembe thinking it looked like Kentucky thoroughbred country with a lot of beautiful winding roads.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Much appreciate the kind words, folks. Glad you enjoyed the scenery.

Agree, would love to see the inside of that grand white house!

And come spring, I'll try to get some horse pictures. Didn't see many out on that particular day...they may have been sheltering under their run-ins or at the edges of a wood.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Retirementtoy
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice day for a ride here in Maryland but I was working on my old glide today instead (figures). I have been in your area many times I love it up there. Glad you got out and thanks for the pics, I may get out on Thursday or Friday I need a ride bad.
STEVE

Quick Reply: Braving the elements...