General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS tracking

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Bohemka
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GPS tracking

Just took delivery of new 2015 charcoal pearl SGS...why am I telling you this? I'm telling everybody!!!

Anyway, I live in Europe where car and bike theft is a 'stole to order' thing as opposed to some kids on a Friday night.
So assuming they have done the chain lock and brake lock etc etc....anyone here have any experience with gps tracking tags on their rides? So if it does disappear then at least you can track it?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-30-2015, 01:31 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Congratulations on the new bike! It sounds awesome.

I have installed GPS trackers on my TriGlide. Yes I have 2, as follows:

1) Rocky Mountain Tracker.
http://www.rmtracking.com/
You buy the device, then a subscription. For a period of the subscription, you also get a certain amount of locates. So, if you know your bike is gone, you can ping it and find out where it is. I mounted my inside the fairing, and hard wired it to battery power. It also has s back up chargeable battery.

2) Spot locater. Picture below.
I bought this on Amazon. I mounted it under the tour pack lid, and connected it to battery power. This can be programmed to give updates when the bike moves.

Why two? Well I bought the Rocky Mountain Tracker a while ago, and wanted to try the Spot. When the subscriptions are up, I'll probably choose just one...probsbly the Rocky Mountsin Tracker.
I leave them both on all the time, and they draw quite a bit of power. In a few days...not sure exactly how many...they will drain the battery down to the point the bike will not start. So, I put it on the trickle charger anytime the bike sits for more than a few days.

Attached Thumbnails GPS tracking-image.jpg  

Last edited by TriGeezer; 01-30-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:57 PM
irensby
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Could just buy an old iPhone 3 get a minimum service type plan, stick it under the seat with a USB charger connected to the battery and use a "find my phone" app to find your bike from any other phone.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:30 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by irensby
Could just buy an old iPhone 3 get a minimum service type plan, stick it under the seat with a USB charger connected to the battery and use a "find my phone" app to find your bike from any other phone.
The problem with that solution, is that it relies on Cell Phone Service.

There are lots of rural areas that have poor or even no reception.

I can drive 30 south of my house and have no cell service at all.
I found out that while in the Black Hills around Sturgis, there was not much reception either.

Wife and I both have iPhones, and the "Find my iPhone" will not locate a phone unless it has reception.

A GPS tracker does not have that limitation.
There are GPS limitations though too, like in a tunnel or underground parking garage, etc.
But on average, GPS will work in many more places than Cell Coverage will.