General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone bought online

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 PM
tvon
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Anyone bought online

Anyone bought a bike online, either via ebay or another seller without actually seeing/riding the bike in person? Any tips or tricks for doing so?
I'm seeing some good prices either on ebay or dealers that are very far away.. wondering what everyone thinks or has done before.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess is that if the price is right and it's a a bike that you "really" have to have, you might want to see additional pictures and maintainance records before driving out to East Kishnev (two miles this side of The END OF The WORLD). If the pics and records look reasonably OK, you might decide to make the drive, flight, to see it and the owner in person.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chsidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 PM
HarleyJeepMan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost did but ended up buying locally. One thing I did do was call the dealership or broker selling the bike and haggled direct. There were a few bikes that had a Buy It Now price of lets say $12,000 on eBay but when I talked direct I was able to get a price below that. Don't think the price on eBay is the lowest price. Ask for lots o' pictures especially of the defects. No bike is perfect so tell the seller you want to see the dings and scratches if any.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

See a lot of remote buying done the last 15 yrs and it seems to be increasing , flip side is so are the scams. Just me but I'd never consider buying a bike I couldn't see eye's on myself or by someone I trust.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:27 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Bought mine online from a Harley dealer in Kentucky. No troubles. Long story as to why. They made it easy.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:28 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

There's a dealer in Ft Lauderdale called V Twin City that sells a lot of bikes online, but I bought a bike from them myself (my Springer) in person and the owners are all well known ex HD guys locally with good reputations.

I'd suggest you ask on the forums if the dealer you're considering is known. You might find it's perfectly safe.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Riptide1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As in all things financially associated, you have to do your home work.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Ezridr60
Tourer

Received 122 Likes on 47 Posts

Bought a '98 FXSTC on eBay. Wife was selling husband's bike. He had died recently. Both had bikes. Had all maint done by their local HD. Everything, oil changes, etc. just had a 25k insp done and had all records from day 1. She gave me all the data, photos, everything I requested including copies of title and a death certificate, which my DMV needed since both she and husband were on title. Agreed on purchase subject to inspection, bike was in pristine condition. Unfortunately not all eBay transactions are as easy.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:29 PM
tvon
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide1
As in all things financially associated, you have to do your home work.
Agreed with that one.. Ebay i've only been looking at as a price guide to see what bikes are selling for. But it gets tempting. I'm also looking at remote HD dealers listings, as well a other non-affiliated bike dealers.
Personally, I'd feel more comfortable buying remote from an HD dealer if buying HD, Honda if buying Honda, etc..

One question about process.. Do you call them up and haggle before coming to see it or vice versa?

Last edited by tvon; 02-05-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

I won't buy anything more than a shirt online because (I want to see it.. feel it and touch it,), let alone think about buying a bike unless it was a Total Steal/Great price where I could spend K's and K's to make it road worthy again..

But,,,, some have and done OK,, As for Me I would not buy anything more than clothing on line,, it aint gonna happen... just me --- Been there and done that,, never again...

Cant tell you what to do...... just follow your brain thoughts.

Last edited by oct1949; 02-05-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone bought online