General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help making my decision on a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:00 PM
jyjelly
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help making my decision on a new bike

first time poster long time lurker.

I bought a CBR600RR brand new in 2007 and had it for 3 years until i got in some sand taking a corner too hard and lost her, but in those 3 years i put 15,500 miles on the bike and it was easily the most fun I've ever had in my life. The thrill of fast acceleration, taking corners, and the front wheel coming off the ground was amazing. I've have yet to get as much thrill or rush out of anything even sky diving. The only thing that has come close is driving in stupid fast cars but cars are too expensive. So I've come to the conclusion that its time for another bike but I'm not a big fan of the sport bikes anymore, maybe the KTM RC8 but 20k is a little more then I had in mind. I have my car up for sale and with that money i can easily get something nice. I started looking at bike and fell in love with the newish 48 sportster, but I'm afraid that the lack in power and overall performance will be underwhelming. I've yet to ride a 48 due to it still being winter here in Maryland so I'm not 100% sure the bike is all that slow or sporty as it's name implies. So what i came to say and ask is what can I do to get the 48 styling and a 600cc street bike power and performance? Is a massive big bore kit, cams, and head work enough or do I need to turbo the thing and spend 6k on mods? Can I run nitrous to make up for some loss? Or maybe i need to be looking at something different like a someones custom frame with a bigger motor. Is the 1200 enough for me? thanks guys and gals i appreciate your time and input.

What I want and like on my new bike
wide front tire
low bars
rear seat
ability to take corners
go faster then a 600 street bike

Old 02-25-2015, 01:19 PM
irensby
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

A Harley will be able to easily satisfy three of your five conditions. I hope you're willing to scratch the last two off of your list.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:28 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 309 Posts

What's there to know? Harley's are the -hit! Bike's, babe's, beer! Once you own a Harley, you will never own anything else!
Let's experiment, tell any hot chick you own a sport bike and a Harley and want her to chose which one she wants to ride on the back of.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:56 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

wide front tire
low bars
rear seat
ability to take corners

Well, you can satisfy the first three easily. Taking corners will be limited by ground clearance...things will start to scrap. Getting the 48 to run like the sport bike will require the motor to be built to the point that reliability will most likely start to suffer. Although there is a special class in AMA road Racing for
Sportsters, http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/about....cfm?cid=37854 they are the XR1200 bikes, much different than the 48 street bikes. ( at one time several years ago, they had a street model XR1200 ) If you must have a bike that meets all the criteria that you list, just get another sport bike. You'll never get a 48 to do all those things. Just my $.02

Old 02-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Frank Dukes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a pretty much stock 1200c and it goes ok for sure. but the answer for a speed demon wanting a harley is very simple. v-rod.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:04 PM
jyjelly
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Hocus-Pocus
wide front tire
low bars
rear seat
ability to take corners

Well, you can satisfy the first three easily. Taking corners will be limited by ground clearance...things will start to scrap. Getting the 48 to run like the sport bike will require the motor to be built to the point that reliability will most likely start to suffer. Although there is a special class in AMA road Racing for
Sportsters, http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/about....cfm?cid=37854 they are the XR1200 bikes, much different than the 48 street bikes. ( at one time several years ago, they had a street model XR1200 ) If you must have a bike that meets all the criteria that you list, just get another sport bike. You'll never get a 48 to do all those things. Just my $.02
thanks for some useful insight. I am willing to make sacrifices but just like everything else I want as much as I can get. I can't really find too much on a 1200 with a big bore, cams and head work to compare power to. But I think once I get a bike I'll be able to make the changes I feel are needed to suit me. I do like the looks of the xr1200. Thanks again

Old 02-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Frank Dukes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you really wanna make power with a sportster start with an iron883 and put one of these bad boys on it..

http://hammerperf.com/xlbigborekits.shtml

Old 02-25-2015, 03:19 PM
jyjelly
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Frank Dukes
if you really wanna make power with a sportster start with an iron883 and put one of these bad boys on it..

http://hammerperf.com/xlbigborekits.shtml
thanks, i've looked at their site before, not crazy expensive either imo

Old 02-25-2015, 03:34 PM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are interested in handling and performance look into the dyna line with a 103.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Sure, with enough money you can make sportster super fast but along with upgrading the engine you will have to upgrade the brakes, suspension, clutch, and exhaust. You might want to check out the vrod, ducati monster, indian scout, or Honda cb 1100.

Quick Reply: need help making my decision on a new bike