General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Rain Gear Works Best For You

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:32 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts
Default What Rain Gear Works Best For You

When looking for rain gear I did a heck of a lot of research to find the best gear for a reasonable price and I came up with Olympia Horizon jacket and pants $90 & 80 respectively and have found that they do keep me dry.

The jacket is well thought out with lots of easy size adjustments complete with a fabric hood to fit under your helmet to prevent water from running down your back. The pants are equally thought out with easy cinch straps and a heat guard on the inner right leg, to protect against melting on the exhaust.

Did a 6 1/2 hr ride in an absolute monsoon last fall and was fairly dry when I got home, other than a bit of my chest area and my feet I was dry, Could have used a full face helmet on that ride.

I would like to hear what you have found to work for you, I know all the research I did said that stay away from Harley rain gear as it really sucked.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:48 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know who told you the Hd rain gear sucked but I can honestly say I have had a couple of cheaper rain suits before I spent the dough on HD rain gear. Best money I've spent. I rode through torrential rains on a Tennessee trip last year and stayed dry. I found the HD rain gear well made, designed for riders and worth the money.
Just my .02 cents your results may vary.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:53 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I run a HD canvas jacket with armor that does a good job and Duluth Trading insulated pants for rain and cold. Both perform well and wont break the bank. Jacket was 130.00 and the pants were 90.00

Old 02-25-2015, 01:54 PM
Frank Dukes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought some from Nelson Riggs and had no complaints. got poured on in London, Kentucky twice on the way to and back from the dragon last August and didnt have any real issues other than like stated, could of used a FF helmet.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/nels...ider-rain-suit

Last edited by Frank Dukes; 02-25-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:33 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

All I've ever had was my leathers, since I don't have the space to carry rain gear too. Chaps aren't the best rain gear though.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:47 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Harley bibs, FXRG fabric jacket, Schuberth modular, heated grips, ice fishing gloves. Where we ride the rain is often cold, too...
Not afraid to ride with reflective stripes on pants (wife has jacket, too, with reflective strips) in rain; containers of people sharing the road already are oblivious enough with out the effect of rain on their limited awareness.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:47 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Never heard the HD gear sucked - besides the price...

Old 02-25-2015, 04:15 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have first gear which works good for me (so far). my wife wears hd and no complaints whatsoever. a bit pricey but it works well

Old 02-25-2015, 04:24 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Rain Gear

I have a couple of non matched rain gear pieces. The jacket I wear is a Woolrich, and it breathes to let the sweat out in warm weather and doesn't let the wind come through in the cold. One of the things I like best about it is that it has inner sleeves that end in a mitten type of sleeve. They don't cover your fingers or thumb but your four finger slip through one hole and your thumb another. That way your sleeve never rides up and starts collecting water. I use the jacket with rain and wind proof gloves.
The pants are gore-tex and came from LL Bean. They zip all the way up the sides and have pockets as well as zippers so you can get to you pants pockets underneath. They are rain and windproof also. None of the pieces were cheap but I have stayed dry every time I worn them.

Last edited by dyna rider; 02-26-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:46 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

I have a set of HD Bibs that always keep me dry.When it really rains hard and i just have to ride in it,i have a large plastic bag that i cut a head and arm holes in and hope for the best...If the fashion Police give me a ticket...I'll pay it and move on....

Quick Reply: What Rain Gear Works Best For You