General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gear, what temp range you use it for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Rway
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heated Gear, what temp range you use it for?

This winter is killing me...I just want to ride.
I am trying to justify (to myself) the cost of heated gear so I can lengthen my riding season.

Here is my question. What temp range do you that have heated jacket liner and heated gloves use them in. I have never been around anyone who uses heated gear that I know of so have no experience with it. If you use the temp controls, with it turned to low is it something you use in spring and summer mornings and nights just to take off the chill? Or is it more just for say 40 degrees or lower?

Old 02-25-2015, 06:16 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Tagging this thread, just got a pair of Gerbing Gloves (but spending most of the winter in SW Florida) for when I return to NJ!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Rway
This winter is killing me...I just want to ride.
I am trying to justify (to myself) the cost of heated gear so I can lengthen my riding season.
?
I use heated gear to stay comfortable without putting on bulky layers. I use a heated vest and gloves and ride all winter as long as roads are free of ice and slush. Have used it all the way from 45 down to 10 degrees.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

I wear mine when in the 50's. I may not turn it on, but I got it. So far I have ridden with the heated gear into the mid 30's.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Heated Gear

I have used mine on 2 very cold rides this year...14 and 17 degrees. You can use it when it's really cold or just to warm up a bit at 60°.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Used my jacket and gloves today in low 30's temps. Anything under 50 is qualified heated gear weather to me.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 PM
RetGunnyUSMC
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

27 degrees on 30 Dec 14 when my new Ultra Limited was delivered. First thing I did was hook up the connector for the heated gear & go for a ride - had to get that initial 50 miles out of the way. I had my stuff turned up pretty far, for a while but had to turn it down eventually, as it got too hot. I have jacket liner, gloves, & chap liners. Only cold on my upper legs where it was just the jeans for protection, and part of my face that wasn't quite covered. As long as its dry I'll ride down to below freezing.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:51 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i always have my vest with me when i'm riding. i put it on whenever i might need it. if the temp is too warm i turn it off, if i feel a little cool i turn it on. you'll have to figure out when to use it.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:07 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Even unplugged,heated gear is better than layering with all the high dollar nonsense that's out there. Socks,pant liner,jacket liner,and gauntlets,have served me well,in Colorado,and now in NE Washington. Made some 8-10 hour rides between here and Montana,Idaho,Oregon in sub freezing weather,and comfortable all the way. Invest in some good riding boots with at least 800 gram Thinsulate,a neoprene face mask,half helmet and goggles are all I use. About 850 bucks for the full set of Gerbing gear.Dual zone controller,keeps everything just right.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:26 PM
kevinckb3
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I have rode into the teens with mine . one thing i found out is if its cold i turn the heat on low as my toes and fingers take a beating when cold . If I start out like this I can and have ridden comfortably for hours . If I wait till the fingers and toes are cold I never seem to warm up.

Quick Reply: Heated Gear, what temp range you use it for?