General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deeley is done.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:46 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 256 Posts

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...n-canad-2.aspx

Interesting times ahead I'm sure.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:20 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMakani
wow, should be good for the canada market. amazing that Deeley has been able to hold a monopoly on HD distribution for over 40 years
Actually been longer then that. Fred Deeley Sr. began selling HD in 1917 (hence the 100 yr agreement)!

Old 03-12-2015, 10:25 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
Once the Deeley cartel is done away with we can get back to ordering duty free from the U.S., just as NAFTA intended. There is no reason to have Canadian HD dealers tied to Deeley's market stranglehold/embargo rather than a free and open market system.

RIGHT ON!!!
Those of us close to a US dealer have had to suffer because they couldn't ship to CA! But like someone said......it'd be great to support the local dealer if his prices weren't dictated by Deeleys.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
As is usually the case with complex financial and contractual relationships, I assume some coming changes will be a surprise, and there will be bad and good things on both sides. On the whole, though, it should be good news for Canadian Harley owners.
thank you for bringing this news to light Idaho. This is definitely a game changer! Safe Riding Friend!

Lobo
Ontario, Canada

Old 03-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 731 Posts

Yep, Deeley's cut their own throat. They manipulated the Canadian market thinking it was to their own advantage, when in reality they forced the Canadian buying public to flee stateside with their dollars. As the old marketing saying goes,

'People want what they want, when they want it, where they want it, and how they want it! And if we don't figure out a way to give it to them, they'll get it somewhere else.'

HD sales were up worldwide, except for Canada where sales were 'mysteriously' going down. It didn't take MoCo long to draw the conclusion that a parasitic layer was adding unnecessary costs. Buh-bye Deeley, it's been a slice.....

Last edited by Ride my Seesaw; 03-12-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:40 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

As long as Canadian Don James sits on the BoD at the MoCo nothing will change. Canadian customers will still need a tube of lube before entering a store.

US sales/service/warranty will still be denied to consumer imported used bikes unless the current 'Deeley Rules' are followed. They managed to convince the Can Fed Gov to play their silly games.

If memory serves, it's a Canadian that controls the European distribution of H-D's, and they have it worse than Canadians.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:13 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Once the Deeley cartel is done away with we can get back to ordering duty free from the U.S., just as NAFTA intended. There is no reason to have Canadian HD dealers tied to Deeley's market stranglehold/embargo rather than a free and open market system.

Ummm...NAFTA isn't about ordering duty free from US; it's about not paying duty on goods MADE in the US...HD USA may still want to support their "offshore" network by discouraging US dealers from selling out of country.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey

Ummm...NAFTA isn't about ordering duty free from US; it's about not paying duty on goods MADE in the US...HD USA may still want to support their "offshore" network by discouraging US dealers from selling out of country.
Yes I realize that, I used to own an electronics manufacturing company in the states so I'm quite aware of NAFTA and its intention. My comment was meant as a not so subtle jab at Deeley's adding a hefty 'tax' that went straight to their pockets. It wasn't meant to be taken in the literal sense. Now that MoCo has decided to deal direct with all Canadian dealers it has cut out an 'unnecessary' price increase which should increase their sales in Canada.