General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toll-Tag Placement On Your Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:33 PM
InnishMoor
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Toll-Tag Placement On Your Bike?

I'm looking for ideas on where to place a toll-tag sticker on my Road King. I live in the DFW area and it seems that many of the roads/highways are either toll-roads or going to become that way. The toll-tag saves you around 35% versus not having it. The tag is a sticker type measuring approximately 3"X3".

Like many of you, I hate to put stickers of any sort on any of my vehicles. On a car, the sticker is mounted inside the windshield near the rear-view mirror. I called the agency that administers the tolls to ask them where would be a good location on the bike to place it. The lady suggested that I stick it on top of my front fender. Ummmmmmm...... No.

Any ideas from those of you using a toll-tag? Thank you for your suggestions.

Edit: The toll-tag is not mandatory- just saves a few bucks.

I.M.

Last edited by InnishMoor; 03-01-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Added not mandatory
Old 03-01-2015, 11:27 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I have my EZ Tag in the leather bag strapped to my riser behind the windshield. Have never had a problem with it being read by the sensors. The location was suggested by the officer at the EZ Tag store when I got it.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:58 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

The windshield seems to be a good spot.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:03 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

You should be able to...
"Stick it anywhere...Even were the sun dont shine"
Those units are very sensitive and if it doesnt register for some reason once you have one that is registered to the bike the highway authority will automatically charge you even if it doesnt register its use..

Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Does your state have bill by tag? If so you should be able to register your tags and then you don't need to carry the transponder. Maybe it works differently in Fl but all my vehicles are registered under one transponder and I never have to carry it.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:07 AM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nothing but problems with my "E-Z Pass". Everytime I pull up to the booth its a 50/50 shot if it'll register. Not sure if its NY's random crappy tag readers or my tag placement. I've tried everywhere on the bike and it'll read at one booth but not the next. I mostly have problems on the Throggs Neck or Whitestone.

Once the thing doesn't "read" I have to sit there and wait for an officer to come over and manually process the toll. Not all of those guys are in good moods either.

I have been thinking about using velcro and putting the tag to my helmet and seeing how that goes.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:22 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,256 Likes on 11,131 Posts

Or you could do like a lot of anarchist riders do in the SF bay Area. Hide your license plate under the rear fender so cameras can't read it and ride across bridges for free.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:17 PM
LowSodium
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

In MD Ive registered my license plates for my bike and my truck. No need for the transponder.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:44 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

In Oklahoma, we have the option of the sticker or a transponder. I have the transponder velcro'd inside the LH saddlebag on the front...

Old 03-02-2015, 01:59 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by InnishMoor
I'm looking for ideas on where to place a toll-tag sticker on my Road King. I live in the DFW area and it seems that many of the roads/highways are either toll-roads or going to become that way. The toll-tag saves you around 35% versus not having it. The tag is a sticker type measuring approximately 3"X3".

Like many of you, I hate to put stickers of any sort on any of my vehicles. On a car, the sticker is mounted inside the windshield near the rear-view mirror. I called the agency that administers the tolls to ask them where would be a good location on the bike to place it. The lady suggested that I stick it on top of my front fender. Ummmmmmm...... No.

Any ideas from those of you using a toll-tag? Thank you for your suggestions.

Edit: The toll-tag is not mandatory- just saves a few bucks.

I.M.

Don't put it on the bike. Little known fact - in TX, as long as your plate is registered to your tolltag, you'll get billed at the tolltag rate, not ZipCash.

Just toss the tolltag in a drawer - and check your statements, you'll see it's billed at regular (lower) rates.

Quick Reply: Toll-Tag Placement On Your Bike