General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield bag rattling

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:38 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Windshield bag rattling

Looking for some ideas from anyone that has had this issue. When I had my '11 RK, I bought a windshield bag for it so I could store small stuff easily without having to mess with the saddlebags. Seemed like a logical solution for items I wanted easy access to, even while in motion. So I bought this bag and attached it and all was good. Fit good and snug with no flopping around or rattling.

Fast forward to May 2014. When I traded in that bike for my '14 RK, I had them take off the windshield bag and put it on the new bike. Well since then, it's flopped around like a fish out of water and rattles like crazy. The bag itself, and the flap where it closes with the little twist thingy to keep it closed. Maybe I should have had them just swap out the entire windshield since it was in mint condition at the time of the trade.

The bag is fastened using the center bolt of the windshield bracket. Same set-up as before. And it is as tight as I can make it. Thought about putting a small piece of moleskin in the area where the flap closes to stop that part, but that'll only solve half of the issue. I don't stuff it full because I don't want to reach in it for something, and pull a bunch of stuff out with it. Especially when running down the road.

Anyone come up with clever ways to stop this kind of problem? It is very irritating as I can hear it rattling even over the sound of the motor and pipes.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:23 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Danny, we got the same bikes, I use a HD bag as well and have no issues with mine. could it be they put the mount in the wrong spot on your bag?

Old 03-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Ronder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rubber washer?

Old 03-25-2015, 02:34 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,815 Likes on 6,220 Posts

Velcro. Some bags come with it already on there.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Danny, we got the same bikes, I use a HD bag as well and have no issues with mine. could it be they put the mount in the wrong spot on your bag?

Originally Posted by Ronder
Rubber washer?

It worked great on the old bike. Not sure what they did, but I can't put any washers in there. Not enough room due to they used the OEM bolt which is barely long enough to get the nut on it.

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Velcro. Some bags come with it already on there.

I could add some to the flap and that would calm it down some. But I didn't want Velcro, that's why I got the one with the metal clasp thingy. Still won't solve the bag itself flopping around. It's almost like it sticks out away from the windshield too much, allowing it to flop back and forth. No way that I can see to cinch it up tighter/closer to the shield.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,069 Likes on 617 Posts

Perhaps a photo of what it looks like now might get some ideas flowing.

I would think that some large rubber fender washers or something like dynamat that is used to sound deaden vehicles when they install big stereos in them?

Old 03-27-2015, 08:02 AM
rbert0005
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Shorter screw or more washers?

Bob

Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

If it had one, - Did they put the metal bracket/brace inside the bag when they mounted it.?

my bag is not made by HD, but it has a metal brace that's about 3/4'' wide 1/16'' thick and it goes from one side to the other or about 10'' long, to stiffen it and the windshield bolt goes though the center of that bracket.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

Danny...these are pics of the back and inside of my RK bag.....hope this helps....only other suggestions is drill two more holes in the bag and the cross bar of the windshield for stainless 10x32 button head screws...insert the screws through the bag first then the windshield bar and cap them with SS acorn nuts...good luck

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 03-27-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to take a guess here that the threaded part of the bolt, that sticks out of your windshield bracket, is too long and doesn't tighten down all the way? How about adding a few washers to the inside of your bag and then some blue threadlocker and crank it down? Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Windshield bag rattling