General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Remote garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:00 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts
Default HD Remote garage door opener

This may have been answered before, but I'm unable to find it. I'm not clear on the HD garage door opener kit. When you install the receiver in the garage, does it disable the factory remote that came with the garage door opener? If so, I assume you have to buy transmitters from HD to replace the originals. It appears, but the directions, that the originals are still functional but not very clear. I have one of my openers velcroe'd to the dash on my '14 Limited but I'm thinking about adding the HD system for a cleaner look. I'm not interested in any aftermarket system so please, only comment on the HD system. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 847 Posts

Are you sure it comes with a receiver? Most of the vehicle kits I'm aware of just pair with the existing receiver. If this is the case, all your existing ones will still work. If it does have a receiver, it's going to depend on how they implement it.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:14 PM
penmaker
Road Master

It says it comes with a receiver to be installed at or near the opener.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:40 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

A suggestion since you have the remote velcrod to your dash This what I did. Only cost was for the switch I put in one of the blank spots.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post4594153

Old 03-26-2015, 03:42 PM
penmaker
Road Master

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
A suggestion since you have the remote velcrod to your dash This what I did. Only cost was for the switch I put in one of the blank spots.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post4594153
I appreciate the suggestion, but as I said, I'm only interested in the HD system.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Texaco87
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the HD opener will work with your existing equipment. What you do is plug the HD transmitter in to a power outlet then wire it to the push button switch in the garage, so it helps to have an outlet near the button.

However check out the flash2pass opener, it's easier to use and cheaper. I've used both and prefer the flash2pass opener.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:57 PM
penmaker
Road Master

Originally Posted by Texaco87
Yes the HD opener will work with your existing equipment. What you do is plug the HD transmitter in to a power outlet then wire it to the push button switch in the garage, so it helps to have an outlet near the button.

However check out the flash2pass opener, it's easier to use and cheaper. I've used both and prefer the flash2pass opener.
Thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking from what I read but I just wasn't positive. Also thanks for the suggestion on the flash2pass but I'm only interested in the HD system.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:28 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I recently installed the HD opener. I wired the receiver to the opener itself and not a button, but where the button connects to the motor. My electrical outlet for it is about 2 ft. from the motor so it made sense. Everything works normally, even the programmed car button. I installed on a '14 SB, kind of a pain but got it done nice and neat. I found out with mine, if the lights are on hi-beam when you start the bike, the door automatically goes up. Doesn't if they are on low-beam. The thing about the HD model is it integrates with the bike controls and is all put away. Be aware you may need a wire harness Y pigtail, depending on your model.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default factory remote

Originally Posted by penmaker
This may have been answered before, but I'm unable to find it. I'm not clear on the HD garage door opener kit. When you install the receiver in the garage, does it disable the factory remote that came with the garage door opener? If so, I assume you have to buy transmitters from HD to replace the originals. It appears, but the directions, that the originals are still functional but not very clear. I have one of my openers velcroe'd to the dash on my '14 Limited but I'm thinking about adding the HD system for a cleaner look. I'm not interested in any aftermarket system so please, only comment on the HD system. Thanks for any help.
The remote that came with your opener will still work.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by penmaker
You can also use your regular opener in your car. The HD receiver wires in independently an it's receiver is unique to the HD transmitter. It's a very convenient system. I have an additional receiver at my second home. No need to do anything extra to your bike.

Quick Reply: HD Remote garage door opener