General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leesburg bikefest or Daytona bikeweek?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 03:39 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leesburg bikefest or Daytona bikeweek?

Hi peeps, just after some advice.
Me and the missus went to Daytona bikeweek this year and loved it and I want to return next year this time with a friend who has never been.
We are hoping to get a rental and maybe go to Miami, key largo or key west then onto a bikefest/bikeweek.
Having to fly out from the uk ive started to look at flight prices to get them cheaper and happen to find out about Leesburg bikefest.
Can anyone give me an idea of what its like? is it worth going too or should I go back to Daytona? im keen to try it and its a month later so more time to save.
Any info would be great.
cheers

Old 03-30-2015, 04:25 AM
maddawg57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to Leesburg every year -
A lot of bikes, women, vendors, outdoor bands (music free) -
check out the videos on U TUBE - of how many bikers go -
if you like Daytona you should like this -
Leesburg Harley Davidson has a big thing going on also -
there parking lot has bikes, women, vendors, outdoor bands (music free) -
good times -

Old 03-30-2015, 06:39 AM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

BikeWeek and Biketoberfest are the big ones. Leesburg, not so much.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:54 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

They are different animals. Daytona is Daytona, all the big vendors are there and there are also sunglasses, leathers, headbands and do rags and T shirts. Daytona is spread out over a bunch of locations and lasts 10 days, some headlining names, bike shows, Main St. Bikes are brought to be seen, people come from all over the US (many ride to it), but it's not really about riding when you're there. Plus all the big names let you test ride their bikes.

Leesburg is a 3 day event, the bands are lesser known names, downtown is small, the vendors are all pretty much T shirts and sunglasses (you can't buy a new seat or rims). The riding is nice if you plan out some routes around Ocala. Leesburg is more chilled out. But it's a 3 day bike festival, it's nice but Daytona is the Bike Week.

If I could only choose one I'd pick Daytona. Stay a few more days and rent a bike and head over to Ocala to ride. Alternatively look at Biketoberfest, a bit smaller than Bike Week but only one weekend and you could still rent a bike and ride in Florida.
Oh there's a new airline flying out of Gatwick to Ft Lauderdale (Norwegian Airlines) which is cheaper and less hassle than flying into Miami. Also worth looking at flights to Orlando on the regular carriers.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:36 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

A better comparison might be Daytona Bike Week vs. Panama City Thunder Beach.

Leesburg has grown but is still small compared to PCB and Daytona

Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 AM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see how anyone could not like the Leesburg Bike Fest. Outstanding event. Advertised for 3 days but is actually 4, starting a day early at Leesburg HD. I've not seen anything at Daytona I couldn't find or buy at Leesburg.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:01 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Oh boy, comparing the upcoming 75th Daytona bike week to some podunk rally!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I've been to Daytona Bike Week, but not Leesburg. Regardless, I have a couple of buddies who've been more than once and like it very much. They don't compare the two because they're different in a good way. I was going to join them this year, but a chance to see Sedona and the Grand Canyon nixed that. Hopefully, in 2016. The best rally in Florida is Biketoberfest in Daytona. It has everything that Bike Week has with better weather and smaller crowds.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 AM
fatmurse
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
Oh boy, comparing the upcoming 75th Daytona bike week to some podunk rally!
Leesburg is smaller but they usually draw close to 300,000 bikes, and put on over 80 concerts. Not bad for a town with less than 20,000 people. Great riding in the area too, actual hills.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 AM
Fatbobiron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leesburg is fine....
Not enough different venues to check out. Everything is pretty much right there on main street.....maybe 1 block off on either direction. Plan on ALOT of walking....not very many places to sit and not very many places to actually people and bike watch.

Park, and walk...ALOT.
Did I mention alot of walking?

There are a few bars, but most are set ups, outside bars brought in for the event. It's normally very hot as well Alot of walking.

Not many Hotels close enough to walk to the action either. Most do have shuttles.

Leesburg is a day trip. Ride down, have some fun, ride back.

Daytona is a spend the night trip.....ride down, have some fun, park the bike and party, spend the night, do it all over again the next day.

No comparison at all........Although both have all the requisite ingredients.
Bikes, women, vendors and bands.

Quick Reply: Leesburg bikefest or Daytona bikeweek?