General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Braided hose

Anybody here know where to get braided nose size 6 or 3/8" id any where, I need it cut to length and secured at the ends. No fittings needed.

Last edited by Knutson Boltz; 04-01-2015 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,553 Likes on 3,058 Posts
Old 04-01-2015, 03:43 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Summit Racing

Old 04-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any local speed shop will have the "raw" line. I have the local hydraulic shop make my brake lines up complete with the proper AN fittings. Just make sure you tell them you will be using them as brake lines so they can use the correct inner material. They are also 1/2 the cost of the dealers or aftermarket companies.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:34 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

What's the use ? Oil line, gas or will it be under pressure ? 3/8" I doubt brakes . Oil line ebay or J&P sells it in short rolls , for pressure line look for a Hose & Fittings outlet locally or anywhere that makes hyd. lines.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:09 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Don't know what you need it for or how long, but lowes/home depot sells them in the plumbing supplies and cheaper then anywhere else...

Just a thought

Old 04-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Its not for brake lines. I want to replace some external breather hose that is not braided, it will look better braided. I screwed up an order and got the wrong stuff. I could maybe go to a smaller size and maybe AN fittings too, but for now just raw ends no fittings to slip on a T fitting and a breather filter. Any ideas on maybe a stainless or chrome tubing setup for this purpose? .Another thing, I hope to get it cut to size and have the ends secured however that's done, because I think if I have to cut the lengths myself I could ugly it up and have loose braiding around the cuts. I don't think you can cut this stuff with a hack saw. No luck at wes or Orieleys, or the local engine builder, not even the local hydraulic tubing buisness. I have however found just the braiding only but in size 4 and size 8, gonna find out tomorrow if I can drop to a 4. Seems size 6 is in high demand here, it may have something to do with all these black helicopters thats been flying around the past week.

Last edited by Knutson Boltz; 04-01-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: addition to post
Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

About 6 months ago I walked in the local Pep Boys and went to their high performance section, and there was a 6ft roll of it. I think price was $49.95. They had fittings as well. If you cut it make sure you know how or you'll have a mess.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,553 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Originally Posted by backplay
About 6 months ago I walked in the local Pep Boys and went to their high performance section, and there was a 6ft roll of it. I think price was $49.95. They had fittings as well. If you cut it make sure you know how or you'll have a mess.
I use tin snips to cut it (never a hacksaw.)

Old 04-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

If you want good hose, you can get it in various lengths from various manufacturers, even with different coverings. Earl's is one of the best….also the most expensive. You can get it in SS outer braid, or black nylon braid for pressures under 300psi. I always try to use the same branded hose ends to go with the hose.
Summit Racing, Jegs, and other auto racing places have it. Summit & Jegs also have their own house brand that is inexpensive. However, I won't use it on my drag car. I need rock solid reliability from my plumbing on that, so I only buy the best.

To cut, by far the cleanest way, aside from using the dedicated snips or hose cutting machine, is to give the cut area a wrap with strapping tape, and cut it with a thin abrasive cut-off wheel. And like Stiggy says, a hacksaw will make a mess of it.

Keep in mind that although #6 hose is "theoretically" 3/8", ( 6/16") the ID is too small to fit on a 3/8 hose nipple.

To get hose with ferrules on the end, you can go to a hydraulic shop and have it done in any length you need. Although a lot of people do it, (myself included in a pinch), screw type hose clamps shouldn't be used to secure the ends. The braid frays after a time and gets messy.

Last edited by Mike Lawless; 04-02-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Braided hose