General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remember when we had to wait years before buying a new HD Cycle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Remember when we had to wait years before buying a new HD Cycle?

I am sure many remember, but for those young guys and gals of the open road, there was a time, not too long ago, when there was a waiting list to buy a new HD motorcycle. I remember it well. I ordered my first HD motorcycle, a 883 Sportster in 1995, and it was finally ready over two years later. I had an older metric bike to have fun with during that time, but their was a great anticipation of finally getting my first HD cycle. It actually worked out well because I was able to save a portion of each paycheck for 2+ years in order to pay that puppy off when I took it home.

Others probably know the history of the Motor Company better; back in those days there was long waiting lists to buy a new HD cycle, and in some cases it took years for dealers to fill the orders. "Built to order" manufacturing is nothing new; it is a method companies use to keep demand and prices high. The downside is some people won't wait and will buy what the competition has available. At some point, HD must have figured they were losing sales, and built another facility just to manufacture Sportsters and Dynas (I think), and for years now HD dealer showrooms have bikes for sale, albeit some go faster than others and others can be hard to find.

I loved that Sportster, red peanut gas tank, nimble, and all around fun.

For those who remember the days of having to place an order for a new HD, what model was it and how long did it take to be made?

Last edited by Grizzwood; 04-03-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I waited 35 years to get this one...but it wasn't planned. It was going into a dealership and having a salesman to start one up. They delivered it 3 weeks later.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Ultraman69X
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can remember when Harley dealerships could not get rid of last years modles before the new ones arrived. Everyone wanted a Honda Four in the 70s. If it handn't been for AMF, the Harley factory would of shut down for good.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,934 Likes on 2,569 Posts

In 1990 I sold my 1979 Sportster and wanted a new 1991 1200 with a 5 speed. In the Fall we went to NYC HD to see what the deal was with buying a new bike. This was supposed to be a good experience. Salesman asked me if I had a color preference, which I did, then walked me into his office. Keep in mind this is September. Tells me with no negotiations or explanation what the price is, he needs a $500 deposit right now and the bike is supposed to be April of the following year. April is a maybe no promises. Do you want it???

We walked out, guy was a d**k for no reason.

Go to the Javits Center for the bike show in January, local used bike shop has the bike I wanted right there for sale, color and everything. It has 6 miles on the odometer. Their story is some guy bought, took it home, wife said no way and he sold it to them. We bought it for $1000 less than HD and they delivered it to my house that week, still January.

We called HD in Milwaukee and the bike had been sold the month before, so for $20 they transferred the remaining warranty to us and gave us a HOG membership. We were treated like we bought the bike new from them. All warranty work was performed at NYC HD. Service guy never knew the story or that we walked out on the salesman.

Funny thing, I bought bike technically used with 6 miles on it, the two bikes I have bought since, NEW, both had more than 10 miles on the clock. Go figure.

Yes times have changed, no more waiting and now they are generally nice to people.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultraman69X
I can remember when Harley dealerships could not get rid of last years modles before the new ones arrived. Everyone wanted a Honda Four in the 70s. If it handn't been for AMF, the Harley factory would of shut down for good.
If it hadn't been for AMF, the Harley factory would of shut down for good ... True enough but ... Oh boy, here come the AMF haters ... This could get ugly!

Old 04-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
If it hadn't been for AMF, the Harley factory would of shut down for good ... True enough but ... Oh boy, here come the AMF haters ... This could get ugly!
No reason to get ugly, it is a fact. Anyone who hates AMF must have come to the game late...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-03-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:52 AM
greendragon52
Tourer

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Bought my first HD, a Sporster in '99. Had to wait 6 months for one to come in. Didn't specify which color I wanted. It was a matter of let's see what is shipped to the dealership and make your decision then. I was so happy to get a Harley that I really didn't care too much about the color. Got lucky, it was black. Bought a '01 Wide Glide after that, specified the color and had to wait 3-4 months for that one to come in.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

I agree Dan but this is an Internet Forum :>(

Old 04-03-2015, 08:54 AM
ahok19
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saved up for 5 years for buying a new HD Cycle.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

I got my `89 just before the boom years, the dealership was a hole in the wall shop, down the street from the bus station (the dealers didn`t locate in prime spots back then).

There was not enough space for more than a few bikes in the showroom, the dealer said he thought he had an FLSTC in the barn, we walked out to the old barn behind the shop, found the crate, he cut a hole in the cardboard so we could see what was inside...

My future `89 FLSTC.

It is still in my garage today.

Quick Reply: Remember when we had to wait years before buying a new HD Cycle?