General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some serious advice concerning seats for a FXR

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 01:54 AM
Ipara
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need some serious advice concerning seats for a FXR

I want to replace the factory pillow seat on my 91 FXRS and I'm looking at the following seats and need some advice.

I want to buy a 2 up seat and will not be swapping out the seat. It's my understanding that if a seat comes with gel that it will be a harder seat over one that doesn't have gel. I wish I had more options, but I'm not about to spend $750 for Danny Gray to make me a custom seat since they no longer make ANY FXR seats. I simply emailed them and asked if they make FXR seats or not, had to ask...

I'm deciding between these; however if another mystery seat is out there, please let me know...

Saddlemen Explorer, $307

Mustang Wide Touring One-Piece Vintage Seat - Harley-Davidson FXR, No Studs, No Conchos, $400

Le Pera Maverick, $460

The prices are around what's posted. There's a big difference in price between the Saddlemen and Le Pera.

Except for what you can pick out in forums, like this one, or on some web sites it's very hard to lean towards one seat over another.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:28 AM
bbqbiker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ipara
I want to replace the factory pillow seat on my 91 FXRS and I'm looking at the following seats and need some advice.

I want to buy a 2 up seat and will not be swapping out the seat. It's my understanding that if a seat comes with gel that it will be a harder seat over one that doesn't have gel. I wish I had more options, but I'm not about to spend $750 for Danny Gray to make me a custom seat since they no longer make ANY FXR seats. I simply emailed them and asked if they make FXR seats or not, had to ask...

I'm deciding between these; however if another mystery seat is out there, please let me know...

Saddlemen Explorer, $307

Mustang Wide Touring One-Piece Vintage Seat - Harley-Davidson FXR, No Studs, No Conchos, $400

Le Pera Maverick, $460

The prices are around what's posted. There's a big difference in price between the Saddlemen and Le Pera.

Except for what you can pick out in forums, like this one, or on some web sites it's very hard to lean towards one seat over another.

I just got a 2 new seats to try out on my FLHP, a Saddlemen Explorer, and a Danny Dray Weekday Solo XL. They were half the money I usually spend on a Corbin. They both look nice and seem well built. Took a 45 min ride on the Danny Gray and seemed fine. My rides are usually much much longer but still have snow here. Putting the Saddlemen on tomorrow and taking the blonde on an Easter excursion. We had a corbin dual tour (sold) that was fine for me but a bit firm for her.

Lepera cust service was very helpful when I contacted them and they will make an all leather Maverick with softer pasenger area AND do Gel in the rider portion for a firmer seat. It's over a grand so still thinking bout that. We'll see how the Saddlemen goes.

I've been a lifelong Corbin customer but they now have zero customer service ( whole thread coming on THAT) so I'm now buying seats from their 3 biggest competitors.

Had a Mustang solo seat on my old Dyna and it was very well made. All leather very nice. I'd buy another, and I may as I like to have several seats depending on 2 up, short or long haul.

I just got an FXR so I'll be getting a Lepera for that. Strictly solo but would do the premium Maverick if I needed 2up. $460 price is vinyl, add 340 for leather, then 150 for gel. You can only get direct from Lepera if you want custom options. Price adds up.

Last edited by bbqbiker; 04-04-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:27 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,149 Likes on 1,510 Posts

It can be a hard choice.

Can't really say which brand seat is better. Our two rides both have Mustang seats.

One of my buds prefers LaPera seats....he rides older iron, constantly has Shovelhead projects, and the bike he takes all around the country every year is an Evo Softy.

Some people here have gone from Mustang to LaPera seats, others have gone from LaPera to Mustang seats...and of course toss in other brands here...but my point being...everyone has their own preference. I've never seen one brand constantly stand up top...being "better" than others. Everyone is different!

I put more weight on how the seat looks on the bike, how it "fits" on the bike...aesthetically. My butt doesn't care all that much in the differences of the seat itself. However...one point of getting my current seat, the Mustang Regal Duke...was the "backrest" part of it that rises up in a nice vertical part. I have a very bad lower back...from L2 all the way down to S1...operation done on L4/L5 already..so I find the Duke seat works great for me with its built in backrest. Without really looking like a "backrest" like some seats have for an add-on. Sorta has an older chopper seat look.

Try a few different seats when you can. Go to dealerships and Indy shops and try some seats out...get on 'em. Granted you're not riding, but you can still get a good feel for it. Swap meets. When you see a seat you are interested in...even ask the owner.

When you're at a favorite watering hole, with tons of bikes out front, and you're yaking with other riders..and you see a seat you like...ask the owner about it. Most have no problem letting you sit down on her to get a feel.

And remember....seats are easily swapped out. I know it's a little investment...but if you don't like a seat...some Indy shops can take trade ins, or you have the option of selling it if you get a better seat...to get most of, if not all your money back.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:25 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

I'm not sure why you are swapping your original seat. Comfort, looks, original worn out? Many people, myself included , feel that the original seat is one of the most comfortable seats around. Here are some options that I've looked at and done. Had my original seat reshaped so I would sit a little lower and further back from the stock riding position. Had the company that did it (Mean City Cycles) put memory foam in it too. The other seat I have for mine is from Corbin because I've had good luck with their seats on other bikes I own. The problem with seats is, as others have mentioned, every butt is different so what might work for me won't for someone else. It can also get to be a rel expensive experiment to get the right one. Good luck finding one that fits.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Ipara
Intermediate

Monkeyboy, I hear what you mean! The reason for looking at another seat is the seat is showing its age, wear on the drivers seat and the button on the passenger seat is ready to sink into the foam. At the very least the seats would need to be recovered, but having a upholstery shop recover the seats is NOT cheap either, besides I don't really care for the looks of the seats... lol

I'm trying to "save" money, but that seems to be a joke when it comes to most aftermarket seats. As a example was the email I received from Danny Grey. Since they "stopped" making FXR seats I would HAVE to take the bike to them so they could construct the pan for there seats by using my bike! I guess they threw out there FXR patterns when they decided to stop making FXR seats. So with my bike a seat would cost me at least $750.

I will "try" to find a cycle place that at least has a Dyna seat that I can "try" out to see if I want to head in that seats direction.

I'm very lucky in that I live in So. Cal. and can travel to both Danny Grey or Le Pera if I need to as there both a couple hours drive from my house. I will say one thing, Le Pera has, by a country mile, the largest selection of seats for FXR's and for the fact they've been in business since 1972, I'm leaning towards a seat from them.

I hope other members chime in concerning this thread.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Your H-D dealer will have loaner seats you can try out at no charge to give you a idea of what style seat will work best for you. I ended up getting the Sundowner as it was the most comfortable for my wife on long rides. I had their seat for 2 weeks trying it out.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:54 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had an '89 FXRS.

Send your seat to Mean City Cycles for upgrade.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:47 PM
juiced03
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Mustang dual touring seat on my 93 FXR and it's comfortable for me and passenger.
I found it used on eBay.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

monkeyboy wrote above:
[[ I'm not sure why you are swapping your original seat. Comfort, looks, original worn out? Many people, myself included , feel that the original seat is one of the most comfortable seats around. ]]

I'm in absolute complete agreement. The smooth factory seat on my 1990 FXRS-sp was never uncomforable, even on longer days.

The FXR bikes had the most comfortable "stock seats" ever put on a Harley. Somebody in the design department back then realized that a seat should be designed for SITTING ON as much a "styling". Not like the "profiled" seats that came later on.

OP:
Have you thought about looking around for a "New Old Stock" FXR seat?
I also thought the suggestion to check one of the bike re-upholstery shops might be a good one.
Mustang makes nice seats, but some $$$ involved!

Last edited by Fishrrman; 04-04-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Hogzy94
Stage II
Default FXR Stock seat.

It's been almost two years since this post, but I figured I'd throw this out there.

I have two Brand NEW NOS FXR seats available if anyone is still interested.

One Complete set of Front, pillion and back rest basket weave style.

One front brand new FXLR seat.

I also have a brand new latch and hinge available.

Ironically, I found this post as I'm looking for a NOS Danny Gray seat myself.

Quick Reply: I need some serious advice concerning seats for a FXR