General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase HD with many strange questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 04:03 AM
bikemaniac
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase HD with many strange questions

Hi,

I am from Denmark, Europe and considering the following:

Go to USA, buy a Harley Davidson, ride across USA and bring it back to Denmark after the trip.

However I have some requirements:

1. The bike needs to have an EVO engine because I want to adjust it into a VERY slow idle without damaging the engine. Thus bikes from 1984 to 1999 are of interest. I read that the new engines get damaged by slow idling.
2. Due to our crazy import tax system in Denmark, the bike needs to be as old as possible. Example: If I import a brand new big twin to Denmark I need to pay an import tax of approx. 35000-40000 US dollars on top of the purchase price in the US. Moreover I need to pay the import duty of 10%. If I import a 1990 big twin to Denmark, I only need to pay approx 10000 US dollars in import tax.
3. Based on 2) above, I need a bike as old as possible, however in an almost brand new condition. Something like less than 5000 miles on the clock.
4. The bike needs to be a stock model without any strange modifications which cannot be reverted.
5. When looking for a specific model I am mostly interested in a very simple clean softail model of some sort of variety. I have been trying to do some research on the models and this is where I need some help: Lets assume I am interested in a 1987 FLST Heritage Softail:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gal...il%20%2088.jpg

Very simple, no bags, no sizzy bars. Thats what I am looking for. However, when looking on online pictures, Road Kings look almost the same if you remove the front fairing, the other fairings, the rear bags etc. The reason for the question is, if I find I perfect low mileage Road King, how easily can it be stripped down to a a simple bike with no accessories? Is a Road King like a stock bike with all sorts of accessories or are the frames truly different with all sorts of brackets protruding everywhere? So, as you see how easily can I transform a stock bike into a bike with no accessories like windshield etc? And what if I find a bike with the small foot pegs and I want the big, large foot rests - is that an easy installation on all big twins?

6. Next, looking at the ages 1984 to lets say 1990, is it truly possible to find 25 year old bikes which very low mileages in perfect condition?
7. Can such bikes be found for less than 10000 USD?

Thanks in advance,

Lucas

Old 04-05-2015, 04:15 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude, just move to the U.S. and buy whatever you want! That's a lot of jack just for a bike and not sure I'd want to pay fees costing more than the bike would.

It is true that you can idle down the carbed bikes, but there is also a point where too low of an idle may cause issues due to not enough oil being circulated. So depending on your definition of "very low" idle, you may not be able to go as low as you want. If I remember correctly, my 80 cu in Low Rider idled around 700-750 rpms. My current 2014 bike idles in the 900-1000 rpm range. Not a huge difference. The Road Kings come pretty much as pictured in my sig line, minus the luggage rack and backrest. The windshield comes off easily, but while the bags are removable, the support bars will still be present and doesn't look that appealing. I never thought about it, but I suppose they can be removed also.

Good luck on your trip, purchase, and returning home with it.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:48 AM
EVOLFXD
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As Danny said, Road Kings aren't really meant to be ridden with the bags off. You have the ugly air shocks, the bag supports, the fender struts that were given no consideration for looks because the bags are supposed to be on it. They just come off for cleaning pretty much.

As far as finding a 20-25 year old bike with 5000 mi on it in perfect stock condition....while not impossible, I'd say you're going to be up for a challenge. Some bikes will have been ridden hard and not cared for. Others will have all kinds of cheesy modifications that would be very difficult (and expensive) to reverse. Just overall it's hard to find a stock or even remotely stock HD especially of that age because most likely a few different hands have been on it and...well...that's what HD people do...customize their bikes. So sure there might be a nearly stock evo garage queen out there somewhere that fits what you are looking for....might be the proverbial needle in a haystack though. Under 10 grand... well you can find decent evos all day well under 10. But if you do find this mint condition bike with 5000 mi on it...they will charge for it! But yes, under 10 seems doable.

Be advised: Evo Softails are solid mount engines. There are no motor mounts and there are no balance shafts. The engine is bolted straight to the frame...and you feel evvvrrrything. Just a heads up as you are planning to take this cross country.

Another consideration: You are planning on taking a 20-25 year old bike jumping on it and hauling across the US. Since you are looking for a garage queen that one can assume as been sitting for a while, it will undoubtedly need a bit of work before one can safely go cross country on it. It will likely need tires, all fluids, possibly tank flushed, carb cleaned, everything adjusted, bearings repacked etc. The next issue is, a lot of dealers and some indy shops will not work on evos or bikes over a certain age. So you would have to make sure you have a place lined up that will perform all the work for you.

Best of luck and let us know what you come up with.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:12 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

I buy and sell older bikes, sometimes I run into what you are looking for. That said I do this as a hobby not a business, so don't ask me to find you one without money up front because when found they don't last too long.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:35 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bikemaniac
Hi,
I am from Denmark, Europe and considering the following:
If I import a brand new big twin to Denmark I need to pay an import tax of approx. 35000-40000 US dollars on top of the purchase price in the US. Moreover I need to pay the import duty of 10%. I
My wife and I met a guy from Denmark while touring in Oregon a few years ago.
He owned an '06 Ultra which he stored in the Los Angeles area.He would fly over from Denmark and then hop on his bike and ride for 4-5 weeks then fly back home.

He told us he was finally going to ship his bike back but would have to pay the fees you stated.

Hope it works out for you.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Thinking about your post, You want an 84 to 99 HD with 5000 miles or less. This is what I know if you were to find one like that with 5000 miles or less your talking a 25 to 30 year old bike. With that low miles the bike has been sitting around so just on the low end, Tires, tubes, Battery, oil change and filter all 3 holes, break flout change, Maybe new gaskets and seals, anyway on the low end 1500.00 just in maintenance. If that were the years I were looking for I would be thinking 20 to 35000 miles, something that was used lightly but run now and then.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 AM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang...tough order to fill, might be cheaper to move to the US, or rent the one you want and ride across the states, way to much drama goes into getting one back to Denmark for me but understand the love for a Harley..

Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Can't you buy one there? For that import bs tax and fees, buy a used bike and sell after the trip across the U.S. Then buy a newer one when you get home.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:46 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

I saw a unicorn once.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:56 PM
ss313
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have waited a little late but you may still be able to find something. I just picked up a 97 Superglide with 7,000 miles on it for $4,500 in January. The fellow I bought it from had just had it serviced and put new tires and brakes on it. I consider myself very lucky.

Quick Reply: Purchase HD with many strange questions