General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie from Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Joeysoto007
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie from Los Angeles,

Just starting to do research before purchasing 1st Harley. Want to know if it's better buy used or new. Budget is 10k but would like to spend less. Like the soft tails. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-09-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:33 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeysoto007
Newbie from Los Angeles,

Just starting to do research before purchasing 1st Harley. Want to know if it's better buy used or new. Budget is 10k but would like to spend less. Like the soft tails. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Great question. I do not think I should try to answer it since I have been drinking. You know, trying a few new beers out. But then again, WTF.

I do not like buying someone elses problems. (Not always problems resales that is.)

If u r going to hold onto it, I would suggest buy new. Then u have it 100% form the start, know all its history, and never have to wonder if something goes Ka-Plunk, if it was someone elses doing.

Maybe the warranty is a concern to you. Newer bikes I believe the warranty goes with the bike.

IF u r strapped for the dough, then that is a diff story.

Back to buying new my friend, u will not miss the $$$. So think not abt the $ but your personal preference.

Lastly, (I think lastly) picture you already made the decision to buy NEW. How do you feel about that? Good? It was a mistake?

Then flip it the other way, you decided already to buy used. Now, how do you feel abt THAT decision?

This is a simple exercise that I have found to be helpful my friend.

Either way, I ride through the LA area almost each year. You have some really GOOD riding out there!!!

You may want to look into joining SCMA (Southern California Motorcycle Assoc.) at www/sc-ma.org <-- I think it is. I live in Florida and am a member. They are GREAT GREAT guys with FANTASTIC rides!!!!

Good luck and when u make ur decision, come back and let us know what you did, why, and a PIX of u on the bike.

Ok my friend?

Again, great question. Wish I was more qualified to answer it.

BuzzCap7

Old 04-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Joeysoto007
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, I'll definitely post a pic once I find the right bike for me

Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Ok i will throw my .02 in....AND i havent been drinking (But soon to start)and i dint read Buzz's post because he has been drinking...LOL...
10k wont buy you alot...Personally i would buy a nice used bike and leave yourself some $$$ for some extras to personalize it.That you will soon find out will never end...
You dont say your riding past.What are you used to?Alot of nice Softails out there but you really wont know till you ride one...Go for some test rides...Go to the dealer and sit on a few.Get the feel..Welcome and Good Luck....

Old 04-09-2015, 11:31 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Buy used, let others sink in the big dollars for upgrades.

I bought my 09 Heritage used.
When I got it home I started picking it apart as far as add-ons.

After I was done I added up that over $4500 was added to the bike.
I paid $700 under the book value.

About a month after I bought the bike I ran into the previous owner.
He e-mailed me a list of everything he had put into the bike and the price added up to around $5500.

Of the $5500 about $3500 was things I would have added myself.

Long story short; A bike is only new until it's driven off the lot.
I'll never buy a new bike or for that matter a new car.

Last edited by Bluraven; 04-09-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

If I may pop my head in here one more time (now that I am sober....and maybe riteway will read my post now LOL)......

If u read books about wealthy ppl, in general they buy used vehicles not brand new. If that helps being any kind of guide to you.

Sux being sober. But at least I can pee into the toilet and not on the floor.

BuzzCap7

Old 04-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

With a 10K budget you are pretty much limited to buying used.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:00 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

New sportster 883 start at about 8300/8400 for the Superlow & Iron before taxes and fees. Factor in those and you're gonna hit 10k unless you can find a dealer who will waive some of the bs fees they tack on. A new 1200 sportster model is going to send you overbudget. Something to think about, don't spend all your cash on the bike and cheap out on the gear. So does that 10K budget include a decent helmet, gloves, boots etc.

The Street 500/750 is a little cheaper, but for me personally that's not even a consideration.

So basically at 10K you're looking at a new 883 Sportster, or go used to get more options.

Last edited by kngpn; 04-10-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Redsauce
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I have a few minutes to kill, I often jump on Craig's List just to see what is selling. I am usually surprised at some of the used big twins that people are selling for around 10 grand. Take your time. Go see a lot of bikes, used and new, and find the one that fits you perfectly. You can find a great used bike in your budget.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Have you ridden a Softail? Personally, I have no use for them. They don't handle. Too many compromises made just to look like a poser hardtail.

For your budget, you can buy Dynas (like this Evo or this TC) all day long, and still have thousands left over.

PS: If you want a real runner, this FXR looks nice.

Last edited by 0maha; 04-10-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Newbie from Los Angeles