General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whoa! my pics are in the 2015 Roland Sands catalog!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:48 PM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Whoa! my pics are in the 2015 Roland Sands catalog!

Well the 2015 RSD catalog came in today and to my surprise 4 of my photos are featured in the catalog! I am pretty excited and honored to have so many pics in there! The Sportster belongs to close friend and amazing artist Vance Kelly and the blacked out night train belongs to close friend and killer guitarist Greg Bourgeois. You can check out more of my photos at @spacereapers on instagram. Here is all four photos in one.

Just excited so I thought I'd share

Old 04-09-2015, 10:58 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Nice Job!! Good for you!!!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:39 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Did they get permission and/or pay you for them?

Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wilddave
Did they get permission and/or pay you for them?
No man, welcome to the wonderful world of the internet, any of your photos on facebook or instagram or any social media outlet can be used , without your permission or compensating you in any way.

Honestly I know that and it doesn't bother me in any way. I like Rolands stuff and that's just the way it works now, when you put **** out on the internet it belongs to the world.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:09 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceReapersNOLA
No man, welcome to the wonderful world of the internet, any of your photos on facebook or instagram or any social media outlet can be used , without your permission or compensating you in any way.

Honestly I know that and it doesn't bother me in any way. I like Rolands stuff and that's just the way it works now, when you put **** out on the internet it belongs to the world.
Not true...

Old 04-10-2015, 10:18 AM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

sue the bastard thief!!

Old 04-10-2015, 10:22 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
Not true...

uhh I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure it is true.

" Facebook
Under Facebook’s current terms (which can change at anytime), by posting your pictures and videos, you grant Facebook “a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any [IP] content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (“IP License”). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it. Beware of the words “transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license.” This means that Facebook can license your content to others for free without obtaining any other approval from you! You should be aware that once your photos or videos are shared on Facebook, it could be impossible to delete them from Facebook, even if you delete the content or cancel your account (the content still remains on Facebook servers and they can keep backups)! So, although you may be able to withdraw your consent to the use of photos on Facebook, you should also keep in mind that if you share your photos and videos with Facebook applications, those applications may have their own terms and conditions of how they use your creation! You should read the fine print to make sure you are not agreeing to something that you don’t want to have happen.

Instagram
Well Facebook was at it again (changing their terms of service for their latest acquisition, Instagram). The proposed changes are to take place on January 16, 2013. Basically, Instagram had a brilliant idea to generate money off the backs of their members. The proposed terms of service explicitly state “To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you. If you are under the age of eighteen (18), or under any other applicable age of majority, you represent that at least one of your parents or legal guardians has also agreed to this provision (and the use of your name, likeness, username, and/or photos (along with any associated metadata)) on your behalf.”
This means that Instagram can make money from advertisers that want to use your face or pictures of your loved ones on any advertising (TV, web, magazines, newspapers, etc.) and never pay you a penny! Even worse, if you are under 18 (which means you don’t have the legal capacity to enter into a contract) you are making a contractual agreement that you have asked your parents permission to agree to the Instagram terms. This not only is an egregious position (see discussion above about rights of publicity), but defies logic — Instagram acknowledges that minors can’t enter into a contract, but nevertheless for the under-18, force them to agree by (unenforceable) contract that they have permission anyway. Go figure! [Finally there is a reason to go back to the old 2-hour Kodak Carousel slide shows of aunt Sally’s vacation.]
[December 21, 2012 UPDATE]
Instagram announced today that it was backing off of its proposed T&C’s to be able to sell content without paying the members. But a closer look of their replacement terms of use are just as bad. “Instagram does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on or through the Service. Instead, you hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the Content that you post on or through the Service, subject to the Service’s Privacy Policy. . .” This means that Instagram can still sublicense your photos to any company for a fee (without paying the member)! And it gets worse. For instance, let’s say a posted photo is of a celebrity. Instagram then licenses that picture to an advertiser. But then the advertiser gets sued by the celebrity for violation of their right of privacy (who in turn sues Instagram). You the poster would have to indemnify Instagram because in section 4(iii) of the terms, “(iii) you agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owed by reason of Content you post on or through the Service.” Bottom line – Instagram stil gets to sell your pictures without paying you and you can be liable in the event they have to return that money to the advertiser!"

Old 04-10-2015, 10:25 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain

man you guys are a tough crowd.

I am excited they used my photos, I have nothing against Roland Sands and dont want any compensation in anyway.....unless they want to send me some of those awesome carbon fiber tipped slip-ons.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 AM
GMWhiteGuy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not all about the money! WTF! I would just be happy my pics got used in something cool like that. And I agree with SpaceReapersNOLA, if you put it on the internet - its out there for the world, you cant get pissed if someone else uses it. Just be glad its not pictures of your old lady naked!

Old 04-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Whether you're cool with it or not, I still think it's a total dick move on Roland Sands part to pull photos off the internet and use them to sell his overpriced catalog parts. Even though it may or may not be necessary legally speaking, obtaining permission and giving credit for where the photos came from would be the professional thing to do.

Quick Reply: Whoa! my pics are in the 2015 Roland Sands catalog!