General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advise re air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:59 PM
sawbones01
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise re air cleaner

I am being told by a HD dealership if I change my air cleaner to something less restrictive I have to get the bike recalibrated for a lot of $. On the other hand the custom shop I have taken my bike to for paint, and some mechanical work says that it is not necessary to recalibrate. Would appreciate any advise.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

The general rule of thumb is if you change just the exhaust, or just the Air Cleaner, you don't need to change anything. If you change both, you should get a tuner. You DO NOT need a dyno tune. If you plan on changing both get something like the Dynojet Powervision from Fuel Moto and they will give you a map which will work well with your setup..

Old 04-10-2015, 04:35 PM
sawbones01
6th Gear

Thanks appreciate the response

Old 04-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Derik
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

If you change the air cleaner you will change you air/fuel ration mixture. Therefore, your lean stock Harley will run even leaner. A tuner is the best option but vieds from dkcustoms will work as well, as I am running them on my bike. Has nothing to do with exhaust at all, if you can change the exhaust you don't have to do anything. Harley can even flash your ECM but I would recommend vieds.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Older bikes particularly would need a tuner if air flow is increased. Later era bikes with O-2 sensors do adjust fuel to air flow somewhat automatically, but the general consensus here seems to be that a tuner is more ideal.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:06 PM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most STEALERSHIPS are just plain full of crap..Listen to the advice posted and find yourself a good INDY that can help from time to time...The PPL here are just full of great knowledge, I would take their advice over a STEALERSHIP.. And yes...I have had a few good friends fed full of it from STEALERSHIPS..some taken for a ride, so I don't like them...

Old 04-10-2015, 05:11 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

As others have stated, you don't "need" a re-calibration of your ECM if just changing to a more free flowing A/C (and you still have the stock exhaust).

However, your bike will run better if you do make some changes to the EPA mandated factory tune. This is true whether you add an A/C or not.

Here is a useful link on the subject-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-10-2015, 05:47 PM
sawbones01
6th Gear

Thank you all for the advice. I have been confused by the dealer before so this confirms my suspicions. The guys at the custom shop have been straight with me but like an idiot I thought I should check with HD before any changes with the engine. Lesson learned, thanks again

Old 04-10-2015, 06:02 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Ya,don't believe the dealer when they try to sell you summer air for your tires either!!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Originally Posted by sawbones01
Thank you all for the advice. I have been confused by the dealer before so this confirms my suspicions. The guys at the custom shop have been straight with me but like an idiot I thought I should check with HD before any changes with the engine. Lesson learned, thanks again
Just remember, Service Writers (including at most Harley Dealers,) are paid on a commission basis for a reason. Most folks don't know that.

Quick Reply: Need advise re air cleaner