General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:48 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Need a new Battery

Anybody have this problem - my negative battery terminal keeps coming loose. Would it be ok to put the weaker lock tight on it?

Last edited by rjo3491; 04-14-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:00 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if you put anything on it . id put copper shield on it. lock tight isn't ment for electrical connections. the copper shield should give the bolt something to hold on to and wont short anything out.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Deathtrap
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had same problem. Make sure the little spacer is on battery so terminal is level. And yes, i use blue loctite.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:10 PM
ChefRex
Advanced

Let me guess, aftermarket battery? Terminals are slightly offset so they don't aline to the face of the battery? If so you need a spacer so the cable is flush with the battery terminal.

Locktite should not be needed.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,923 Likes on 17,476 Posts

I use thin star washers between the cable & posts on the batteries and loctite shouldn't be used it can cause resistance issues. Star washers look like this , any auto or hardware store has them.

Amazon.com - Stainless Steel External Tooth Star Lock Washers 1/4 Qty 50 - Amazon.com - Stainless Steel External Tooth Star Lock Washers 1/4 Qty 50 -

Old 04-15-2015, 02:24 AM
EVOLFXD
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a Duracell battery from Batteries Plus for my FXD...double the warranty and 25 bucks cheaper...most cost a lot to stamp a bar and shield on the side of a battery... And yes the terminals are set in slightly but the battery came with the spacers so no issues.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 965 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I use thin star washers between the cable & posts on the batteries and loctite shouldn't be used it can cause resistance issues. Star washers look like this , any auto or hardware store has them.

Amazon.com - Stainless Steel External Tooth Star Lock Washers 1/4 Qty 50 -
This is a good answer, or the OP can use a thin lock washer on a slightly longer bolt (if necessary). Either one is far superior to using a liquid to hold a bolt tight in a battery terminal because, as others have already said, it will do nothing but add to the resistance (that means it's *not* a Good Thing). Just head down to your local Fastenal and get what you need, no need to order something like these parts online.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 PM
ChefRex
Advanced

Originally Posted by EVOLFXD
I bought a Duracell battery from Batteries Plus for my FXD...double the warranty and 25 bucks cheaper...most cost a lot to stamp a bar and shield on the side of a battery... And yes the terminals are set in slightly but the battery came with the spacers so no issues.
I wasn't trying to be a dick, but I see this all the time with no spacers by people installing their own batteries, If they're tight I don't see why they would come loose, star washer can't hurt

Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,923 Likes on 17,476 Posts

Originally Posted by ChefRex
I wasn't trying to be a dick, but I see this all the time with no spacers by people installing their own batteries, If they're tight I don't see why they would come loose, star washer can't hurt
The terminal posts on the batteries are soft lead and they will deform due to vibration over time allowing the cables to loosen. Can't say why the star washers work over the OEM setup but it's a time & miles proven fix for that little annoyance the old bikes are terrible about grounding cables probably half of the electrical issues I've dealt with over the years have been bad grounds somewhere.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Dielectric spread thinly on the battery terminal to prevent corrosion, washer, and lock washer with a tad of Loctite where bolt threads the nut.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 04-17-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Need a new Battery