General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Communication advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Hoya
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Communication advice

Hello all,

I need some advice on getting radios/walkie talkies for use on short half shell helmets. My group is getting bigger and we need a way for the road captain to talk to the sweep. Of course cheaper is better and we do not need any of the phone, music, blue tooth crap on it. The forum newbie would appreciate any advice, thanks to all who respond...

Old 04-26-2015, 12:17 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoya
Hello all,

I need some advice on getting radios/walkie talkies for use on short half shell helmets. My group is getting bigger and we need a way for the road captain to talk to the sweep. Of course cheaper is better and we do not need any of the phone, music, blue tooth crap on it. The forum newbie would appreciate any advice, thanks to all who respond...
Ummm, do you know how most of those things work? Do you know what Bluetooth is? LMAO!

Old 04-26-2015, 12:59 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

We have an intercom in our 3/4 helmets with face shields and with the wind noise, unless we're at 40mph, she has trouble hearing me, even with the form piece and a plastic bag on my mic.

So, I don't know how well anyone can hear someone with a half helmet. And you're going to need that "blue tooth crap" for them to work with each other...unless you use some really long wires.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:25 PM
noraA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all,

So you want morse code?

Old 04-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Hoya
2nd Gear

All right, by blue tooth I meant telephone calls ! , sorry I'm old...

Old 04-26-2015, 02:09 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Not sure how true this is any more but I do believe that you all have to have the same brand. Also, not sure of the maximum number of units that can be connected. I have the Senna smh 10 and only have to communicate wit my passenger. I think it will connect to 4 units in total. Plenty to choose from

Old 04-26-2015, 02:27 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

All right, by blue tooth I meant telephone calls ! , sorry I'm old...
Ahhh, ok. I figured correctly that you do NOT know what Bluetooth means. LOL.

You should probably stick to hand signals - you've got quite a learning curve ahead of you.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:33 PM
DMWyant
Tourer

Half helmets make it tough with wind noise I have tried a few and none seem to work very well

Old 04-26-2015, 04:22 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Intercom

I also have a Sena smh10 and I think you can daisy chain them together to accommodate more than 4 riders...but maybe not.

http://senabluetooth.com/downloads/m...H10-v1.0.2.pdf

Old 04-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Hoya
2nd Gear

@ one from behind,

If you bother to read my original text, my group has gotten too big for effective riding such as lane changing. I assume you don't have many from friends, judging by your ridiculing and attention seeking posts. If you did you would know that when a very large group is riding in heavy traffic hand signals are not the fastest or most effective way to maneuver as a group. Again, if you ever get enough friends to ride with you will see what I mean. I've been riding for over 25 years and do not have learning curve, just trying to make things easier and safer for my guys.

Maybe you should limit your posts to helpful advice instead of putting people down. That is of course assuming your parents thought you any manners. Otherwise, please just ignore my posts.

Quick Reply: Communication advice