General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st proper ride out

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Bohemka
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st proper ride out

Monday just gone was a public holiday in the UK which is great for me as I live in the Czech Republic but work remotely for a British firm so when I have a public holiday the Czechs are working as normal which means the roads are emptier than when they have a public holiday.
Anyway, I digress.

So me and a buddy thought we would takes the bikes out for the 1st proper run of the season. Up through Northern Bohemia to the German border then along the mountains and back down to Prague.
Monday morning it was p*ssing down with rain but I drove into Prague to meet him (I live about 40 mins out of town). Morning rush hour traffic, rain and road spray and wet granite cobbled streets.
A quick coffee then we set off. The clouds cleared a bit as we hit the motorway/freeway taking us out of town but by the time we were up near the German border we were down to 15-20mph in dense fog and mist going up the mountain passes.
We stopped at a little restaurant at the peak of one of the mountains that used to be an iron ore mine a few hundred years back. And after lunch the clouds started to break, and out came the sun. And then.....what a glorious 240 mile trip through the forests and villages and mountains and then driving back down the mountains with the central plateau of the Czech Republic and all the golden yellow rapeseed fields.
Left at 8.30am and back home around 7pm and the OL gave me a cold beer and asked if I wanted to go to the local bar and watch the Canada vs Czech Republic ice hockey game.
If only all Mondays could be like that

This as as far north as we go. Time to turn right

Background shows how foggy and misty it was going up the mountain roads

Somewhere up a mountain near the German border

Buddy's Rod and my SGS

Cobbled streets. Always fun to ride on.

Another village. Another coffee break

Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Really want to get over there some day, my grandfather was Czech, nice pics glad you enjoyed the ride.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:38 AM
frapcc25
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a very scenic ride that is making me extremely jealous. I have traveled quite a bit before I started riding unfortunately or else I definatly would have rented a Harely to ride in every country I have been to. I wish everyday was like your thread too.

Last edited by frapcc25; 05-05-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:41 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Very nice pictures. Are the cobbled street slippery? They look like they might be.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Bohemka
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nightmare when wet. Smooth as glass and very uneven. And bumpy as hell. Bitch for putting kick stand down as well. Major citys have trams (trolley cars?) as well so in the middle of the cobbles you suddenly have smooth steel lines. Happy days

Old 05-05-2015, 12:47 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

I thought so. We have bricks in the downtown area of where I live. It's like riding in a covered wagon with no suspension...and that's in a car. It's 10x worse on a bike.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:38 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Jolly good pics indeed as you Brits say . Kidding aside, I am really jealous of you now after seeing these pics especially the ones on top of the mountains.

Thanks for sharing. I did the Devil's Whip here in NC this past weekend but have no pics to show. You see, I was riding with a group of 20 Sports bikes (no other cruiser except for one guy on a Sporty 883) and these guys don't like to slow down or stop to take pics.