General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A popping sound from my brand new iron.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Chrisfarms715
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A popping sound from my brand new iron.

So as many of you know I got my brand new iron a week ago and I rode it to work today, I noticed on decel I would get like this quick little pop or 2 pops coming from I guess the exhaust its def in the back right side area i can't pin point it for sure because it's so loud and I wear a full face helmet always. The bike has only got like 60 miles on it right now and idk if it's just a part of breaking it in or what, it is fine when accelerating except a bit of sluggishness going from a stop but that's my fault I haven't mastered the clutch control on this bike yet but I'm getting better. Is this an issue or just nothing it doesn't happen every time I haven't even put a tank of gas in it yet it's got the gas from them filling it up at the dealership. It came from the dealer with the Vance and Hines exhaust and screaming eagle air box on it, it was in their showroom that way and I purchased it that way I have done no modifications on this bike what so ever just rode it to work today will be my 3rs day. Am I just over thinking this cause it's my first Harley my first sportster it's everything except my first bike I came from a 2013 Honda cbr500r and I was loving the Harley until this. Just in my mind being into tuner cars and coming from a jap bike witch was silky quite on decel it seems weird.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:22 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To answer your question, yes, you are overthinking it. Some decel pop could even be considered normal on a Harley. I certainly would not be concerned, your bike is not even close to being broken in yet. Mine used to be severe which included decel "bang" which is not normal until I got a PCV tuner with the appropriate map. You will find Harleys are a different animal than you are used to. Enjoy your new Harley.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:25 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,480 Likes on 2,478 Posts

These bikes are tuned to run lean from the factory as per EPA standards, so they will fart,belch & burble. It sounds like in addition to pipes & air cleaner, you need a tune. Factory download just won't cut it. It is harmless, but annoying. Might wanna look into purchasing a tuner. Your bike will run cooler & feel snappier & more responsive.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:31 PM
Chrisfarms715
Intermediate

As long as it's just me being paranoid then I won't worry about it, I def don't got any extra money right now I'm spent after just getting the bike it'll be a while before I have any extra for any more bike stuff, got to pay my bills and save up the bike is a big thing on what I make and I kinda worked it in my budget by cutting back on other things.

Hard for me to really know what is and isn't just like when I went from my 90 240sx witch normally and regularly drove at 2500-3k rpms at 50-60 mph to my 04 Monte Carlo that sits at 1500-2k at 50-60 and its its just cruising along and its running at 3k it means your tranny is messed up due to not kicking into over drive.
To me popping on decel doesn't seem like an issue, if it popped on acceleration it would be a misfire and mean it's not properly tuned. I hear Harley's pop when they are slowing at a red light every once in a while it just kinda caught me off guard today, just felt like asking to have the sense of security. Guess I got to get on that break in since I got the next 2 days off . Ride it and have fun just keep the rpms lower for the first 500ish miles from what I understand for break in. Then let the dealer look it over at 1k and be good from there. Do I got the right idea?

Last edited by Chrisfarms715; 05-11-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:42 PM
sherme24
6th Gear

could also be crush gasket on exhaust too If its a new bike from dealer you would have a warranty still and if its bothering you, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked where you purchased it. could also just be nothing like others say. does it pop after high rev and letting off gas quickly or with light throttling at low rpms and letting off?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Chrisfarms715
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sherme24
could also be crush gasket on exhaust too If its a new bike from dealer you would have a warranty still and if its bothering you, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked where you purchased it. could also just be nothing like others say. does it pop after high rev and letting off gas quickly or with light throttling at low rpms and letting off?
The pop and it was just a quick little pop or 2 not like grenades going off or anything seemed to happen when I let off at about 3k rpms in 4th to get ready to turn it popped once or twice I pulled the clutch down shifted twice for the turn rode away, also did it on the way home in 5th at like 3k rpm going 50 when I let off to get ready to stop at a light. Maybe it's rider error for all I know . I've ridden but only a sports bike and don't have a ton of experience I have like 1300 miles riding experience.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:54 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Decel pop is normal. Like Dickey said, Harleys are tuned lean from the factory due to EPA regs. Nothing to worry about. Also, when you're breaking it in, try to vary the gears and the RPMs to help the rings seat. Just don't lug it or bounce it off the rev limiter and you'll be fine. Metallurgy's advanced enough that engine break-in procedures aren't nearly as critical now as they used to be.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:59 PM
Chrisfarms715
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JustOneDean
Decel pop is normal. Like Dickey said, Harleys are tuned lean from the factory due to EPA regs. Nothing to worry about. Also, when you're breaking it in, try to vary the gears and the RPMs to help the rings seat. Just don't lug it or bounce it off the rev limiter and you'll be fine. Metallurgy's advanced enough that engine break-in procedures aren't nearly as critical now as they used to be.
Nuff said brother. I just got to ride her more and get the feel for her better and all will be well. That was like the most reassuring post I've ever seen lol.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:59 PM
sherme24
6th Gear

I've seen bikes make sudden pops due to exhaust headers either being to loose to head and or not sealed and allowing air to leak by causing frequent popping. from the sound of it its probably ok. If it gets more frequent Id take it in and have the dealer take a look. I wouldn't be to weird as long as it doesn't get worse.

have fun and safe riding take care man.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-11-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:39 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisfarms715
Nuff said brother. I just got to ride her more and get the feel for her better and all will be well. That was like the most reassuring post I've ever seen lol.
Hehe, no problem. You'll find Sporties are pretty noisy, especially if you've just come from a sport bike. Lots of rattles and pops and taps and all kinds of ****. Don't sweat it, put some miles on and you'll get used to all of it. Once you hit that point, you'll know when she's telling you something's wrong.

Quick Reply: A popping sound from my brand new iron.