General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Recommended Motorcycle Books

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Sleazy T
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Recommended Motorcycle Books

I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions or recommendations for motorcycle literature. I'd like to know what the must have books are when it comes to Harley Davidson or any motorcycles in general. Anything to do with history, travel, memoirs, fabrication, etc. I'm talking Bible level stuff like any classics or "have to reads". Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-13-2015, 10:18 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Shop manual for your particular bike. It's as close to a motorcycle bible as you'll find. If you'll go to H-D main website, I believe you'll find the other books you'd like to have there.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I recently read and very much enjoyed two books by Melissa Holbrook Pierson, which are The Perfect Vehicle: What It Is About Motorcycles, and The Man Who Would Stop at Nothing.

The former is about the author's love affair with motorcycles in general and Moto Guzzi in particular -- a very enjoyable read despite the fact that she at times fails to conceal her disdain for H-D.

The latter concerns the astonishing Iron Butt rides of John Ryan, who famously completed the Prudhoe Bay-Key West ride in 86 hours, 31 minutes, as well as the authoress's return to motorcycling after a decade-long hiatus, and endurance riding in general.

I especially recommend the former book, but both are good. I wish Pierson had more appreciation of H-D, but she's such a good writer, I'll forgive her her biases.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:36 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleazy T
I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions or recommendations for motorcycle literature. I'd like to know what the must have books are when it comes to Harley Davidson or any motorcycles in general. Anything to do with history, travel, memoirs, fabrication, etc. I'm talking Bible level stuff like any classics or "have to reads". Any input would be greatly appreciated!
ZAMM If you like riding philosophy. I enjoyed the chautauquas.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:18 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Total Control by Lee Parks
Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough
Mastering the Ride by David L Hough
The V-Twin Tuner's Handbook Vol. 1 & 2 by D. William Denish

Old 05-14-2015, 04:19 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
I am reading Proficient Motorcycling now. It is very practical. I read it when I first started riding but never finished it. It was hard to relate to. Makes more sense now.

I read this book. It was good, but more track oriented.
Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track: Nick Ienatsch, Kenny Roberts: 9781893618077: Amazon.com: Books Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track: Nick Ienatsch, Kenny Roberts: 9781893618077: Amazon.com: Books

Old 05-14-2015, 05:50 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts
Old 05-14-2015, 05:56 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I am reading Proficient Motorcycling now. It is very practical. I read it when I first started riding but never finished it. It was hard to relate to. Makes more sense now.

I read this book. It was good, but more track oriented.
Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track: Nick Ienatsch, Kenny Roberts: 9781893618077: Amazon.com: Books
If you want to get the most out of those books, pick up a 250 - 300cc naked or sport bike. Sure those things are not the fastest or coolest looking but they are very light and easy to manage. In just a couple of months my riding technique completely changed for the better and that is after 10+ years of riding strictly cruisers.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Excellent list! To it I'll add:

Twist of the Wrist, Volumes 1 & 2 by Keith Code
Twist of the Wrist II DVD is a great visual learning tool

Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook: Keith Code: 9780965045018: Amazon.com: Books Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook: Keith Code: 9780965045018: Amazon.com: Books
A Twist of the Wrist Vol. 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding: Keith Code, Doug Chandler: 9780965045025: Amazon.com: Books A Twist of the Wrist Vol. 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding: Keith Code, Doug Chandler: 9780965045025: Amazon.com: Books
Amazon.com: A Twist of the Wrist II: Keith Code, Chief: Movies & TV Amazon.com: A Twist of the Wrist II: Keith Code, Chief: Movies & TV

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 05-14-2015 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Added Links...
Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

If you want to get the most out of those books, pick up a 250 - 300cc naked or sport bike. Sure those things are not the fastest or coolest looking but they are very light and easy to manage. In just a couple of months my riding technique completely changed for the better and that is after 10+ years of riding strictly cruisers.
My first bike was very light and easy to mange, but still handled the highway fine. (Vulcan 750). I rode a Virago 250 for a week. Not a very practical bike for highway speeds.

Funny thing about Proficient motorcycling is I am already using most of the recommended techniques, as his book shares a lot of the advice you get in the BRC, and SRC. But he does a nice job of connecting the dots, instead of giving you isolated dots.

Quick Reply: Top Recommended Motorcycle Books