General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Twist On The "Sturgis 2015" Threads . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:15 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts
Default A Twist On The "Sturgis 2015" Threads . . .

So, there are several threads on the 2015 Sturgis Rally this year - this one is different.

Where is everybody staying for the trip outbound to the Rally? Not for the the folks going the week prior, or seven weeks prior . . . but for the folks going during rally week. We usually party hard all the way to wherever we're going!

We'll be in Peoria on the night of the 31st, and Sioux Falls the night of the 1st.

Anybody else?

Old 05-21-2015, 10:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I start from my house in Illinois and about 12 hours and 861 miles later I pull into Elkview campgrounds at about exit 32 on I-90. Done that many times in the past 12 years. Same returning home.

I just can't see the point in stopping halfway.

No parties just the road and wind. No parties at Sturgis either. Ride the Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Road, Custer Wildlife Loop, Spearfish Canyon. VanOcker Canyon, Carzy Horse, Devils Mounrtain, Dead Wood, Custer and others. I do one evening reserved for people and bike watching downtown.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm only 456 miles from Sturgis, and used to leave at 4:30 am and be cracking open my first beer at RushnoMore campground on exit 37 by 3 in the afternoon. However, due to my lady's 2nd shift work schedule, we now leave about 10 am, and go only as far as Pierre, the state capital of SD. It's a nice, small safe city, and the capitol building and grounds are worth seeing, with some beautiful paintings and displays inside and several memorials outside, that are wonderful to see in the dark, especially the Vietnam Memorial. It's open 24 hours a day.

We stay across the street at Capitol Inn Motel, which has a wonderful swimming pool, and lots of scenery as there are usually some hookers working their trade! A couple of years ago we even got to see a police raid! It's far enough away from Sturgis that they don't raise their rates.

On the way home, we drive it straight through. Both ways, U.S. Highway 14, and onto Hwy 34 which brings us right into Sturgis by Bear Butte, Buffalo Chip, and the Full Throttle Saloon, and the Patriot Guard Flag Field of Honor, which is always our first stop.

We pull a Bunkhouse camper, so I'm in no hurry, and U.S. Highway 14 is a lot more scenic and safe than traveling I-90, but gas stations are few and far between once you get past Pierre.

Attached Thumbnails A Twist On The "Sturgis 2015" Threads . . .-pierrememorial-003.jpg   A Twist On The "Sturgis 2015" Threads . . .-healingfield-002.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 02:26 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Last time I left here about 0500 and got to Geneseo IL around 1800 their time. It's half way so I figure I'll just go the rest the next day. It's about 800 miles each day.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:23 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Sorry, can't help, the trailer is leaving a week early, one day to Iowa the next day Sturgis. Set up the booth and wait for you people to stop by and say Hi.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 522 Likes on 295 Posts

Rolling out of SoCal, we usually stop for a night in Las Vegas. Then on to and a night at the Prairie Inn in Rawlins, WY.
We then sniff flowers all the way across Wyoming and end up in Gillett for another night, then on to Glencoe the next morning.
No need to rush, enjoy the ride.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I'll be coming from Central California. Making a side trip up into Missoula, then out I90 with a few side roads thrown in. 1700 miles out, 1450 back.

For this trip, it's more about the journey than the destination. So, I'm taking my time

Old 05-22-2015, 09:56 AM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

7/30 - Leaving Cleveland after work. Will be staying in Terre Haute, IN that night.

7/31 - Riding riding to my parents house in Kansas City, KC to pick up my dad.

8/1 - Riding up to Sioux Falls. We're staying at the Guest House Inn that night.

8-2 Pulling into Sturgis and staying at Katmandu.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:11 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Leaving 08/01 from Frederick, CO. Staying at The Spur in Piedmont. Meeting some buddies that are coming up from Florida. Its our first time in Sturgis so we are going to do some riding and the people/bike watching in town. My buddies may not get there til 08/02 so I may have some free time to meet with other forum members for a meal, beer, coffee or what ever on Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:33 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,809 Likes on 6,220 Posts

When you ride the two-lanes, you can tell when you get to Iowa by the constant, pervasive smell of pig ****. I think it actually gets into your clothes. So we try to keep going until the smell changes to buffalo ****. Less toxic, y'know.

Quick Reply: A Twist On The "Sturgis 2015" Threads . . .