General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low can a dealer go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How low can a dealer go?

Looking to buy a bike right now, but the price is a tad high IMHO. I made a low ball offer, and figure we can meet somewhere in the middle after some back and forth. Question is, how low can a dealer go on a used bike? What is a common mark up on a bike? First time for me, so I have no idea what is normal.
The bike is a 2013 RG with ABS and Cruise. 14K on the odometer. Looks nice and clean. I have seen them going anywhere between 18K and 21K I would prefer the lower number of course.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:17 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Diverrick
Looking to buy a bike right now, but the price is a tad high IMHO. I made a low ball offer, and figure we can meet somewhere in the middle after some back and forth. Question is, how low can a dealer go on a used bike? What is a common mark up on a bike? First time for me, so I have no idea what is normal.
The bike is a 2013 RG with ABS and Cruise. 14K on the odometer. Looks nice and clean. I have seen them going anywhere between 18K and 21K I would prefer the lower number of course.
On a used bike there are so many variables. How much did the dealer allow on the new purchase? Actual Cash Value, not trade allowance? The only one who knows that is the dealer.

What reconditioning expense did he incur? Some dealers don't mind showing you what they did in order to get it into selling shape.

Bottom line, work with the dealer to arrive at a price you're willing to offer and if that isn't sufficient keep looking.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:18 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

do your research, check kbb, nada, and edmunds to come up with a low bluebook, you can figure thats what they gave for the bike.. then they will sell it for the high blue book and raise the price by about 2-3k that should give you some idea what to offer for the bike... another thing is every dealer is different, some wont let the bike go for less then what they are asking and others will drop the price some

Old 05-24-2015, 12:21 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm guessing they told you to take a hike with your low ball offer? What did you offer them? Is the bike stock? Usually when selling private the owner will lose on general upgrades. The dealer will try to get every penny they can from all the upgrades. You have to weigh your options. If it is the bike you want, make them a resonable offer. You are the one that has to live with your decisions. I would personally KBB the bike as it is and go from there. I chose my bike because it had a lot of the mods already done that I didn't have to spend money on.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:23 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Their mark up after they purchased it, will vary but they're in business to make money, so be prepared for that. They sure won't take a loss.

If you really want the bike, keep trying and keep your cool, no matter how frustrating it gets.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:27 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Diverrick
you do not see them "going" for that number, you see them asking that number

At that price I would buy new and take the 1.9 financing

Old 05-24-2015, 01:06 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Due to a dealerships operating expenses, they will need to charge more than what you will see them "going for" from private parties.

A bike from a dealership is worth more than buying from a private party due to the benefits they provide. EZ financing, bike displayed all shined up on a showroom floor, professional sales people, reputation, parts and service availability, ability to compare with lots of other bikes at the same time, and test rides.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

If a dealer wants to charge extra for upgraded parts, tell them to put the stock parts back on and lower the price.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:49 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts
Default How low can a dealer go?

This is riding season. They don't have to entertain low-ball offers because someone is going to pay full sticker price 45 minutes after you leave.

If you want a good deal, buy in the middle of a blizzard.

GM

Old 05-24-2015, 03:30 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

After doing your research decide on a price range that you're comfortable with. Realize the dealer needs to make a little bit of money too. If the price is a little on the high end of your comfort zone see if they will throw in something, like free service for maintenance or some parts. Bottom line is for you to feel comfortable with what the price is. Comfortable doesn't mean you steal the bike, it means you get a fair deal, not feeling as if you were raped, and the store makes some money too. Also keep in mind that a few hundred dollars over a few years is nothing you'll really miss. Good luck.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 05-24-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: How low can a dealer go?