General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSRP? - Los Angeles Market

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:49 PM
MusicMaverick
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSRP? - Los Angeles Market

Have been riding for 10yrs, have owned used Kawasaki's and Honda's, but considering joining the Harley club... I'm looking at a 1200 Sportster right now, and trying to figure out what the real cost would be... I've heard some places are over MSRP, some under, just trying to anticipate before going in. I live in LA, so there are a few dealers within driving distance.

Would be great to get an idea of what others have paid for their HD's in the LA are, above or below MSRP... even better for that particular bike.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:57 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicMaverick
Have been riding for 10yrs, have owned used Kawasaki's and Honda's, but considering joining the Harley club... I'm looking at a 1200 Sportster right now, and trying to figure out what the real cost would be... I've heard some places are over MSRP, some under, just trying to anticipate before going in. I live in LA, so there are a few dealers within driving distance.

Would be great to get an idea of what others have paid for their HD's in the LA are, above or below MSRP... even better for that particular bike.
Look on line on the Harley site. You can pick the ride of your choice, plus add any options, and they will give you MSRP.
Honestly, this isn't like buying a car where there are 1,000s in inventory. Don't expect $49 over invoice. Do your best deal from MRSP...and enjoy the ride.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:01 PM
MusicMaverick
Stage II

Thanks. That helps knowing that it's not the same as car buying

Old 05-25-2015, 10:30 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Take a look at the price sticker, see if they are selling at MSRP or if they are jacking it up with excessive setup or other charges. A few hundred will probably be added for freight, perhaps a few hundred more for set up. If they are packing even more on than that, they're selling way over msrp.
You are free to make any offer you like, they'll either accept it or not. If if doesn't look like they'll budge much on the sticker, try asking for first service included, etc,

Old 05-26-2015, 12:23 AM
MrsBarlow
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know Bartels marks up. But from what I've heard, it's usually worth the ride out to Riverside or Temecula.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:50 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Before you go in, be aware there is the shipping fee (from harley to dealer) and dealer prep and setup. I'm not saying it isn't negotiable, but it will generally add $1000 or more over MSRP. All of the other bikes I have bought (non-harley) this was more like a formality and would easily be dropped or negotiated away. The Harley dealers will do everything they can to leave these fees in place.
I'm not saying there is not still negotiating, just be aware if a particular bike costs $10,000 MSRP on the Harley website, the negotiation will start at msrp + freight and setup and probably a DOC fee, so it will be more like $11,500 for the same bike.
This was something foreign to me as I negotiated my first Harley.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Should be able to purchase a 1200 sportster for less than MSRP.

They are now offering discounted financing, and that could be the cherry on top.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

You should be able to get close to MSRP OTD. I would avoid the "LA" dealers and try Barger in the Valley. Bob has done well for some friends

Old 05-26-2015, 12:33 PM
IloveOldscoots
2nd Gear

I'm at a dealership down in Orange County (Irvine) and we're MSRP dealer so our prices are Harley-Davidson's prices. We can negotiate, but it really depends on the bike and the total deal (are you including extended warrenty, gap, extra clothes and parts) for how much of a discount we can give.

That being said we're always willing to entertain a legitimate offer you get from any other dealer and will let you know honestly if we can beat it without jerking you around.

Feel free to come down and talk to any of the sales people, we're really non-pressure here and have a huge selection of new and used.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:51 PM
GunnerB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MSRP? - Los Angeles Market

I have never bought a car/truck/bike at msrp. get on the phone and start getting qoutes. you're bound to find one whom is willing to deal. patience pays off.

Quick Reply: MSRP? - Los Angeles Market