General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Y'all...which bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Jason Toner
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Y'all...which bike

Looking forward to skimming the archives and picking up knowledge from ya but gonna put it up from I'm not a Harley owner just yet. I actually would love to hear opinions on what bike you guys think would suitable best for a guy my size and the riding I'd be doing and I'm a new rider with currently no experience even on dirt bikes but, I'll be going through the Southern Tier Harley Davidson rider course. I'll try to give you the best information I can as to how I'd be riding but if you need anymore, I'd be happy to oblige

I currently stand at 5'7" and weigh 165 and I honestly would say the bike would be a lot of city driving but wouldn't be out of the question to ride a 2-4 hours away.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:02 PM
cbump
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm 5'6" 165. I could physically ride any of them so your size isn't an issue.
Thought I wanted a dyna but after test rides chose a softail because they were more stable feeling. More comfortable for the long rides also.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Dude just get through the course first and then you'll have some idea of what a motorcycle should feel like. There are a lot of things to consider before purchasing a motorcycle especially when it's your first. Good luck on the class.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Dude, any would be great. You're size and weight has no baring as you honestly could handle them all. Take the course then test ride the ones that you think you would love to own. Pick the one that fits and feels best. Then ride the tires off it! :^) Good luck and have fun.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:27 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Take the course, then get a used bike that feels right to you. Don't worry about image or what other people like. All that matters is that you're confident on it and you enjoy riding it.

That said, you'll hear people say Sportsters are good beginner bikes. I disagree, because of their higher center of gravity. My Dyna, despite the increased weight and bulk, is easier to ride than my Sporty was. Once you get used to 'em, though, Sporties are freakin' fun.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

My son is about your size and rides a Softail Deluxe. As advised previously, take the course and find what you like. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 AM
shortbusondubs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like everyone has said, get through your course and it'll make the decision easier.

Last edited by shortbusondubs; 05-27-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 AM
StuntQueen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason Toner
Looking forward to skimming the archives and picking up knowledge from ya but gonna put it up from I'm not a Harley owner just yet. I actually would love to hear opinions on what bike you guys think would suitable best for a guy my size and the riding I'd be doing and I'm a new rider with currently no experience even on dirt bikes but, I'll be going through the Southern Tier Harley Davidson rider course. I'll try to give you the best information I can as to how I'd be riding but if you need anymore, I'd be happy to oblige

I currently stand at 5'7" and weigh 165 and I honestly would say the bike would be a lot of city driving but wouldn't be out of the question to ride a 2-4 hours away.
One of my friends is 5'1" and 120 and she rides a full dresser. She has however been riding for years and grew up on bikes.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 309 Posts

What type of riding will you do the most? Touring? Short hops? Day trips? I would suggest renting Harleys for a day each model you think you'll like.
I have a 13 Heritage and love the versatility. But then you may not like the style.

If you really want to be further confused when asking a Harley forum such a question, just ask which oil you should use, or if you will void the warranty if you do your 1,000 mile service yourself.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What heritage said.

Also, if you're new to riding, consider buying a used harley rather than new off the showroom floor. You may find that you don't really enjoy riding and if you buy new, you'll be out at least 3-5k. If you buy a used one, you could probably get all your money (or close to it) back out of it after 6 mo to a year.

But first things first...take the course, soak it all in. Then go and rent from a dealer. You can rent a sportster, dyna, softail, and bagger from most dealers. Start with what you think you want, ride the hell out of it for a day and then work your way through the rental lineup until you find a frame style that you enjoy. When you thinkyou've decided on a particular family (say, maybe the softails), then rent it again and ride it everywhere and on all types of roads til your face hurts or your **** hurts.

If your face is the one hurting, then start looking at craigslist and classifieds for a nice used version of that bike. If your **** or back or body is hurting, then go to the next frame style you liked and repeat the process.

Quick Reply: Hey Y'all...which bike