General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing questions??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 01:41 PM
SansNoob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing questions??

I realize CarFax is not 100% reliable. I've found cars that have nothing bad about them in CarFax yet put it on a lift and start poking around there
was obvious problems. I just want to be upfront in that I realize
these VIN services are not "perfect".

That said, can someone direct me to the best motorcycle VIN check service?

Also, does anyone know of someone in Dallas TX that will, for a fee, or free, or beer , check a bike out for me?

I consider myself mechanical minded and have wrenched on cars and non-Harleys for a good portion of my life. I also realize, at 53 years of age, that it is very beneficial to reach out to others more knowledgeable than I on a topic.

Any helps, comments and/or suggestions are very much welcomed.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:48 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What sort of "obvious problems" were there?

Vehicle history reports only document incidents that have been reported to a law enforcement agency or an insurance company. These reports can tell you if you're looking at a vehicle that has been crashed, been in a flood, stolen, totaled, salvaged, rebuilt from salvage, salvage title, odometer tampering, etc.

They don't report on maintenance history, mechanical issues, repairs due to wear, overhauls, etc. Don't expect a vehicle history report to tell you anything about the basic operational condition or status of a vehicle. That would be the job of a good competent local mechanic. Sorry, I can't help you there.

FWIW, I used AutoCheck for my last purchase. Beats CarFax by a mile IMO. Being a former motorcycle wrench, I do my own mechanical assessments.

Last edited by oldbikenut; 06-01-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:43 PM
SansNoob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbikenut
What sort of "obvious problems" were there?

Vehicle history reports only document incidents that have been reported to a law enforcement agency or an insurance company. These reports can tell you if you're looking at a vehicle that has been crashed, been in a flood, stolen, totaled, salvaged, rebuilt from salvage, salvage title, odometer tampering, etc.

They don't report on maintenance history, mechanical issues, repairs due to wear, overhauls, etc. Don't expect a vehicle history report to tell you anything about the basic operational condition or status of a vehicle. That would be the job of a good competent local mechanic. Sorry, I can't help you there.

FWIW, I used AutoCheck for my last purchase. Beats CarFax by a mile IMO. Being a former motorcycle wrench, I do my own mechanical assessments.
Sounds like we are on the same exact page about these reporting services.
Your synopsis is EXACTLY my understanding and is WHY I seek help.

The story I relayed to you was while last looking at a car. Dealer said it had no problems, they said see the CarFax is clean. I said, great I want it right after I go over it. Put the thing on a lift and find that low and behold it has had work, welding, on a quarter panel. Now, thats cool, I might buy a car with a problem like that if it had a quality repair job done. BUT, not after being lied to.

It seems like you would appreciate my position. I am looking for someone local to me that is VERY familiar with Harleys that is will to look over my shoulder and give guidance. Why do I "feel" like you are negative about my quest? Please forgive me if I misread your response........

Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 AM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No negativity here.

A history check is worth the money, but it won't tell all. A vehicle can sustain damage, and it may not show up on CarFax or the like. The reasons could be that no insurance claim was made, or no accident report was made. The owner just paid a shop to fix it. That sort of thing happens all the time. It's no different than a worn out engine or a dying transmission. That's where the hands and eyes on the vehicle come into play. A good mechanic can spot any of these things, and that sort of thorough physical and mechanical inspection is a very good idea.

Maybe someone from the Dallas area will weigh in with a suggestion for a good wrench.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:46 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SansNoob
...does anyone know of someone in Dallas TX that will, for a fee, or free, or beer , check a bike out for me?...
Don't be foolish. Pay a pro to do a pre-purchase inspection.