General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with starting from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:45 AM
erhodes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with starting from a stop

Ok. So just got my first bike, an 08 dyna super glide, and i am having trouble starting from a stop. For a while i was having issues with stalling but have pretty much gotten over it at this point. Still have some issues with it on occasion but not too frequently. The problem i am having is not feeling stable on the bike especially is i have a short distance of straight away before a turn like pulling out of a parking space or gas station. Just yesterdah while practicing in an empty parking lot started became unstable and clipped the curb with the right side. Scratched the heat sheilds on my vance and hine pipes pretty good and the peg and brake

What can i do to help me stabalize especially if i don't have a straight shot to build up speed right away? Also i am gaking the msf course on post next monday

Old 06-30-2015, 03:01 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Practice applying light pressure to the rear brake while maneuvering at slow speeds. You'll find the it greatly stabilizes the bike and allows you to keep the rpms up to more easily make the turn. Try it, you'll like it .

Old 06-30-2015, 03:13 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Take a Motorcycle Safety Course quick before something bad happens.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:27 AM
softailgarage
Stage II

Practice. Get on that bike every chance you get. Your a new rider and why you would start out with a Harley is beyond me, but thats another thread. The more time you have riding, the better you will be. If you were in a parking lot I figure you were going slow. I hate parking lots for that very reason (a couple other choice reasons too). Ever watch cops do the cone test? They do the course at a slow speed, almost at a standstill sometimes. Practice this: throttle, clutch, brake throttle, clutch, brake.Its a balancing act between using brake, throttle and clutch and not dumping it. This will help with stability too, but to me stability and balance are the same and again, that all comes with experience. They will teach this in the MSF course as well, pay attention, thats a good course. I've been riding since '76 and thought I knew it all. I was suprised a couple years ago when I took the course, I actually learned something.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:31 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Wait for the class and practice on their bike? HA..and make sure your Harley does not have one of those locking clutches. They can be a pain even for me and I have being riding before TV..

Old 06-30-2015, 04:02 AM
FLSlim
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are stopped and bothe feet planted on the ground and not wiggling around to keep it steady you just need some time with the bike. if you are wiggly bec the seat is too high off the ground for your feet you arent going to get over that uneasy feeling till you drop the seat or drop the suspension down some. Your feet are your stabilizers. Both feet should be able to hit the ground with some knee bend with your butt in the seat. Then your stability increases along with your confidence your not going to drop it. Enjoy your new bike!!! When it stops raining I might get on mine and try some slow speed cones around the parking lot on my own.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:24 AM
erhodes
Advanced

I am taking the motorcycle course next monday so that should be good to go. I will keep riding around everyday in the parking lot workjng on starting and stopping. Although i don't seem to have an issue with stopping. I can come to a full stop and then put my feet down. Think i just need to get more comfortable on it. My heels are firmly planted on the ground when in the saddle and i can even bend my knees a good bit

Old 06-30-2015, 05:02 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I only put my left leg down at full stops. Right stays on rear brake. Like was said, use rear brake and the friction zone of the clutch. I just start going and pick up my left foot. I think this is actually easier than picking up both feet, and of course the only way to start and be on rear brake.

While no expert by any means, as a newer rider, I actually think slow speed stuff like starting moving is easier than some other stuff. You just have to learn to use throttle, clutch, and rear brake at the same time.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:11 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts

Take the class and practice in a parking lot

Old 06-30-2015, 05:20 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are taking the class - it will help you figure out your issue. At this point I would guess that you aren't "riding" the clutch, but trying to disengage (or is it engage - I have no clue) fairly quickly as you would a car. If you ride the clutch and use throttle (even if not accelerating), that will help the bike want to stand up and go straight. You can go really slow with good clutch control, and judicious use of throttle - yes, blipping the throttle with the clutch keeping you from going faster can help stabilize. Something to do with gyroscopics, or so I read once on the interwebz

Quick Reply: Problems with starting from a stop