General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figure this.. Dealer props..

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 07:54 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,208 Posts
Default Figure this.. Dealer props..

Here's my 3 week saga...

I was toying with the idea of a 2015 Road King. I had sold my vintage Corvette because I just wasn't using it. 75% of the money I put back in the household so I had a good couple of grand on the side. My bike was paid for in cash and I had a ton of equity in the bike. I had 2 friends reneg on deals because their wives wouldn't let them ride again. I had 2 CL flakes, an Ebay deadbeat. It was a nightmare.. So I explored trade in.

Keep in mind, my bike was mint, maintained and issue free (I had all service records)

Dealer 1 - Spoke to about a potential used unit (2013 RK) and a new unit. They were about 75 miles from home. All they did was find faults with the bike that didn't exist (im not an idiot) and low ball me a very insulting number on the trade

Dealer 2 - They were nice when I got there, then they looked my up on the computer and they were pissed that I didn't buy my bike from them 3 years prior - the quote, "You pay full MSRP, Frieght and Set Up). My reply to them, its a Saturday, your store is empty and Im leaving

Dealer 3 - Well they didn't have a King but I did have mild interest in a SGS. They gave me fair value on my trade and a good price on the bike.. After the test ride, I really wanted a Road King

Dealer 4 - Williams HD in Lebanon NJ. I was impressed. I called the day before and spoke to Jay the sales guy. We discussed the deal over the phone, his quote to me was "your numbers are right there" - these were the numbers dealer 1 said I was nuts on. So go into the dealer, they waived freight and prep, got a discount on the bike and the parts. My trade value was more than fair AND they told me my trade in was kick *** and issue free (THAT was when I knew Dealer 1 was totally full of ****). I got the .99%. Jay explained EVERY inch of the bike. The bike was perfect. Mike the finance guy was a total pro, no upsell, no bs. The parts guys "read my mind" on what I wanted, hunted it down in the back. This was a very pleasant experience.

I know Im gonna hear, "That's there job" - your right... But how many guys don't do it right...

Old 07-01-2015, 08:20 AM
HDRiderPA
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I get the dealers are out to make a profit (as any business is) It's the way business is handled that separates the sh**ty dealers to the one's that earn repeat business.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Yep ... Profit is not a "four letter word". Someone who wants your business is a whole lot easier to deal with than someone who wants you to think they're doing you a favor

Old 07-01-2015, 08:41 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts

IMHO, it's sad that the crappy dealers with a bad attitude blame the economy when sales are down rather than admit they have poor management and untrained salespeople.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

The last experience was professional, as it should be.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:05 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

excellent point.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:14 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'd go with Dealer #4 Bob for all my points.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:18 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 637 Posts

I'm in medical equipment sales, and have been for 12 years. IMO, there are 2 camps of sales people/depts./dealers.

1) OP's dealer #4: Treat customers respectfully, fairly, truthfully. Make some money some each one and earn their repeat business, loyalty and referrals.

2) Like OP's dealer #1: Screw everyone for as much as you can get right now, b/c tomorrow I'll be working somewhere else so who cares.

Unfortunately, there will always be more #2's out there. But good sales people/dealers do exist.

Congrats to the OP for searching until he found a good one!

Old 07-01-2015, 09:25 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I don't get why some of these dealers will try to screw you considering the price of these bikes.

Hey congrats you managed to get an extra grand out of someone.. great, but now they won't return and buy that 20k bike in 5 years or whatever. In the end they lose.

If More people voted with their wallets that would help fix the problem. Grats OP.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:26 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
I'm in medical equipment sales, and have been for 12 years. IMO, there are 2 camps of sales people/depts./dealers.

1) OP's dealer #4: Treat customers respectfully, fairly, truthfully. Make some money some each one and earn their repeat business, loyalty and referrals.

2) Like OP's dealer #1: Screw everyone for as much as you can get right now, b/c tomorrow I'll be working somewhere else so who cares.

Unfortunately, there will always be more #2's out there. But good sales people/dealers do exist.

Congrats to the OP for searching until he found a good one!
Unfortunately the #2s probably outnumber the other 10 - 1.

Quick Reply: Figure this.. Dealer props..