General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines oversized 450's

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:21 AM
jjkrueg
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Vance & Hines oversized 450's

Pulled the trigger on the oversized 450's from Vance & Hines. Was running Street Cannons on my stock header 2014 Limited and really loved them. Just loud enough, good and deep. Came from Monster Ovals which were just a touch too quiet for me. Well I swapped out my stock header for a Fuel Moto header and Power Vision set up. Not a big fan of the sound now. Not sure if it's the extra db's or the "raspy/barky" sound but I just don't like it but I also generally don't like too loud of pipes. Hoping these 450's are the trick. I love the look of them, just hoping they aren't too quiet. Anyone running them with decatted or aftermarket headers please chime in.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:37 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

So you already got them and are now asking what others think of them?

Old 07-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Clump
Tourer
Received 194 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm running them with V&H Power Duals header. I'd like them to be louder. I would not call them raspy or barky at all. My last ride had a D&D Fat Cat and the was really raspy and much louder.

I've got about 1600 miles on this setup and it seems like they're getting louder. I do like that they're not obnoxious at all.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:43 PM
jjkrueg
Tourer

Originally Posted by mmancuso
So you already got them and are now asking what others think of them?
Yes but I've read numerous threads. They are on the way, just looking for some others recent experiences. My mind is made up regardless, if you're not running them don't worry about it but someone who is considering them in the future may find this useful.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:51 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Clump
I'm running them with V&H Power Duals header. I'd like them to be louder. I would not call them raspy or barky at all. My last ride had a D&D Fat Cat and the was really raspy and much louder.

I've got about 1600 miles on this setup and it seems like they're getting louder. I do like that they're not obnoxious at all.
I've got the same set up as Clump and the combination is plenty loud when you twist the wick. I had the 2010 Ultra with Power duals and CFR's but the decibel level was too much for long range touring. These strike a fine balance.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:55 PM
jjkrueg
Tourer

Pipes are so subjective when it comes to what's too loud & most guys probably don't think street cannons are too loud. If I was bar hopping they would be fine but riding a few hundred miles a day I'm finding myself tired of listening to them by the end of the day. Think part of its the pitch as well.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by jjkrueg
Pipes are so subjective when it comes to what's too loud & most guys probably don't think street cannons are too loud. If I was bar hopping they would be fine but riding a few hundred miles a day I'm finding myself tired of listening to them by the end of the day. Think part of its the pitch as well.
True that! I've been using the ol' Supermeg with closed end cap and it bothers me after a couple hundred miles. I think age (of the rider) plays a part as well.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:04 PM
Slow Road
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you messed up. You should have kept the Monster Ovals and added the new headpipes. I had the Monster Ovals first and kind of wished they were a bit louder, they were a deep enough sound just not to loud. After changing the headpipes they are now perfect for what I wanted.

My friend with Rineharts said he loves the sound.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 AM
jjkrueg
Tourer

Originally Posted by Slow Road
I think you messed up. You should have kept the Monster Ovals and added the new headpipes. I had the Monster Ovals first and kind of wished they were a bit louder, they were a deep enough sound just not to loud. After changing the headpipes they are now perfect for what I wanted.

My friend with Rineharts said he loves the sound.
I had the monsters on my 09 with stock (no cat) headers. My 14 has the cannons but when I switched out the catted header to the fuel moto header is when the cannons got to be too much. Thought about going with monsters again but I had a good frame of reference as to what they sounded like with non cat headers & wanted something just a touch louder. My cousin runs jackpots and they are just about the right balance but I really like the look of the 450's & monsters as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:24 PM
greenvrod06
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just took my 4.5s off for fuel moto jackpots I hope I made the right choice.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines oversized 450's