General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clothing for Florida ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 03:08 AM
matasdad
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clothing for Florida ride?

Guys
It;s been a long time since my last visit...unfortunately illness STOPPED all my plans...however I am back for the time being!
As part of my bucket list I am heading to Florida on Monday and I have a HD ready to ride for a week....the thing is that coming from Scotland ( where it generally rains all the time!!) I have no idea what I should wear in the hot climates!??
Any advice would be appreciated...
Should it be boots and jeans etc>??? ot T-short and shorts???
Thanks guys
Mark

Old 07-22-2015, 03:33 AM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Its pretty hot in Florida this time of year Mark, but you should keep the shorts and such for lounging etc. Its always best to wear jeans and the normal stuff wherever you ride. Being from Scotland my friend, you should get some sunscreen, Enjoy your time over here and watch out for the idiots, there are plenty of them.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:35 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hehe this time of year you better bring your rain gear and long sleeve white shirts. It's hot as hell during the day even when it's raining. USE SUNBLOCK.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:09 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

You can probaby expect temps in the 90's with very high humidity. And of course the rains.

Last edited by Rick58; 07-22-2015 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Wear proper riding gear if you want to leave Florida the same way you arrived.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:00 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

Wear boots, jeans, gloves and a helmet. Ride carefully. You want to go back to Scotland in one piece!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:02 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

You can ask the experts here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-florida-crew-127/

A large percentage of us bikers in Fl wear jeans, T shirt and riding boots. A few may wear shorts and sandals but personally I wouldn't want to burn my legs on the pipes. I think it's too hot for gloves unless it's pouring. You WILL need raingear. Some wear all the gear all the time but I think it's too hot especially when sitting at very long traffic lights or freight train crossings.
Helmets? Well that's a whole nother debate but if you have $10,000 of medical coverage and are over 21 you don't need to wear one. Wear a beanie or doo-rag under the helmet to absorb sweat, you will need dark, dark sunglasses and a pair of clear for night riding or very gloomy torrential rain. Sunblock for sure. It can feel cold suddenly if it rains for long periods so you may need long sleeved T shirts too. N Florida can even be cold this time of year, I was there last week on the Panhandle and we rode in fog for 4 hours with a leather jacket.

Keep your head on a swivel, especially around Miami, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. The cagers will try to kill you so watch out for left turners across the medians, sudden stops when they miss their turns and sudden lane changes without using their signals (indicators). Remember you can turn right on a red light at almost all intersections unless there is a sign that says no right on red.

What's your riding plan? Let us know on the Florida Crew forum and maybe some of us will come say hi. It's always nice to talk with somebody from the Old Country.

Last edited by uklauren; 07-22-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 AM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
hehe this time of year you better bring your rain gear and long sleeve white shirts. It's hot as hell during the day even when it's raining. USE SUNBLOCK.
Ditto the long sleeve T-shirts and sunscreen. That Florida summer sun will burn you up. A long sleeve T-shirt is way cooler than a short sleeve one.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:21 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode in South Florida for years and years. Jeans, boots, short-sleeved shirt, helmet and sunblock. And yes, while it does rain every day for 3 minutes and 20 seconds, I can only remember dragging my raingear out maybe 5-6 times, only to take if off a few minutes later.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by doug62
Ditto the long sleeve T-shirts and sunscreen. That Florida summer sun will burn you up. A long sleeve T-shirt is way cooler than a short sleeve one.
Also, stay away from cotton. Find a shirt made out of a modern fabric that helps you stay dry. Many places sell shirts that evaporate quickly. It really keeps you cool and dry.

Quick Reply: clothing for Florida ride?