General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

witnessed lane splitting in California

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Joe Dirt 14
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default witnessed lane splitting in California

we were on vacation this week in cal. and I got to witness lane splitting for the fist time. Reminded me of playing Russian roulette. 5,6,7 lanes of traffic and running 65 or 75 mph. Had a sport bike about clip right side of rental car. Didn't see any baggers splitting lanes. Just looked like a dangerous thing to do. Looked like a matter of when not if you were going to have a accident. I don't mind splitting lanes if traffic is backed up. Didn't really see a lot of Harley riders ridding but it was hot. Made me appreciate living in North Carolina! Peace Out!

Old 07-22-2015, 06:39 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You were in nor cal?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Dirt 14
I don't mind splitting lanes if traffic is backed up.
That's the way it is SUPPOSED to be. People aren't supposed to do it when traffic is flowing at full speed….yet many do. And those are the ones that make it difficult for everyone else. And like you say, it's just a matter of time.

Watch out! Future statistic coming up behind you!

Old 07-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Joe Dirt 14
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gnstalodz
You were in nor cal?
We were at Mammoth,LA,Long Beach, and Hollywood.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:30 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Dirt 14
we were on vacation this week in cal. and I got to witness lane splitting for the fist time. Reminded me of playing Russian roulette. 5,6,7 lanes of traffic and running 65 or 75 mph. Had a sport bike about clip right side of rental car. Didn't see any baggers splitting lanes. Just looked like a dangerous thing to do. Looked like a matter of when not if you were going to have a accident. I don't mind splitting lanes if traffic is backed up. Didn't really see a lot of Harley riders ridding but it was hot. Made me appreciate living in North Carolina! Peace Out!
Funny. I grew up in California, and saw it all the time.

I do remember going to NC when I got orders, and saw people not splitting lanes. Didn't look very safe to me sitting in traffic. I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Kraken207
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a right way, wrong way, safe way, and dangerous way to do just about everything.

Some are just thrill seekers who do it at any speed because they can, but they could still get hit with wreck-less riding if a cop saw and was inclined.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:05 PM
trace2008
Extreme HDF Member

Received 6,570 Likes on 3,122 Posts

used to lane split all the time on the heritage softail. If i was stationed in CA with the ultra i would lane split with it to.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:12 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Always do but only when traffic is moving slower then posted speed limit or get head start when ever catch a red light up ahead and IMO it's lot safer then getting lost in whole bunch of cages around you.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:39 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Good luck doing it in Tennessee. Hell people driving around here can't keep a car in their own lane for more than a few seconds without crossing the line at least a couple of feet every couple a hundred yards. Guess there is good reason it's not legal here

Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I drove from LAX to Del Mar, a couple of weeks ago, on I5. Really annoying have to watch out for lane splitters. Contrary to AMA propaganda, it wasn't at low speeds. Lots of lane splitters at 70mph.

I would have no problem if people did it under 40, but at 70, that extra time I had to look in the side view mirrors, increases my chances of rear ending someone if traffic suddenly slows, which seems to happen a lot.

Quick Reply: witnessed lane splitting in California